Seeking Advice - young with thinning hair

dtb

Reaction score
I'm 23 years old and about a 9 months ago I noticed that my hairline was receding. Within the past 3-4 months a spot on the left side of the top of my head began to thin. A few weeks later a spot on the right side of the top of my head also began to thin. Now, the entire top of my head is thin all over. Not only is there less hair, it is also not as thick as it used to be. Anyway, I'm worried about the hairloss because the thinning has been rapid and over the course of only a few months.

You can view an image of the top of my head here (i'm sorry i don't have an earlier image to compare it to). I'm not sure how to post an image. I opened an account at yahoo, but I think you need to register to view the images. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to post an image, that would also be helpful.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/zoobleyzo ... .dir=/c424

I'm not exactly sure what action I should take. I'm a student and don't have the funds to pay for propecia. I've read that Proscar is an adequate substitue. I've also read that it's wise to take a growth inhibitor with a growth stimulant, such as rogaine.

I'm hoping someone can advise me as to what is the best course of action. What should I take? do I need a shampoo in addition? Also, where does one buy this stuff?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
DTB

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
First off, your link doesnt work.
Yahoo said:
The File You Are Looking For Is Inaccessible.
Please sign in and try again or check with the owner of the file.

Now just so you know, when you lose hair, it doesnt just fall out. What happens is that DHT binds to the follicle, essentially choking it. This results in a shorter growth cycle, and thinner and thinner hair each time it grows.. untill it dissapears completely.

Use Minoxidil only if you are not happy with how much hair you have right now. Remember, Minoxidil is a huge commitment. If you only want to stop loss, then forget about it.

If your hair is important to you, Finasteride is the key. Yes, Proscar is identical to Propecia, but in 5mg instead of 1mg. Many of us cut it into 4ths which is why you'll see some of us dosing 1.25mg finasteride. If you order from Canada (as I do), the price comes out to about $15 a month. If you get Fincar (generic Finasteride made by Cipla in India), you will get the same results, but it can cost you about half the price of Proscar.

Lastly, read up here on Nizoral shampoo, and use it, 2-3 times a week. Keep your scalp healthy, its important.

Good luck.

Green Soap

Established Member
Reaction score
Very good Advice.

I bought my finasteride from the link on this very site. It comes from India (Cipla) and I paid about $70 for a 300 day supply). It's cheap.

Also, you can find generic 5% minoxidil at the grocery store. A three month bonus pack cost me about $30.

Also Nizoral is about $8 a bottle and lasts FOREVER.

Fear not, son, this is not going to cost an arm and a leg. Welcome to your resource.

juststarting

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow, where did you get Nizoral for $8!

I just got it for $14 (8oz) from amazon.com since after a quick search I couldn't find it cheaper