septemberwind's story - (Age 29, 2 years on Proscar)

septemberwind

Reaction score
First of all, I'd like to say thanks to this website and all those who share their experience and success, in short, this site saved me. So I feel obligated to contribute my bit here as well, hopting it would be helpful to others. :innocent:

If you are not intested in a story and only want to get some facts out of this post, you can roll down the page and go to the "Facts" section. :roll:

Story :

About Me: 29, male, Chinese, living in Beijing, been on proscar for about 2 years.

The first time I noticed my hair loss problem was in 2005 when a co-worker, who was already a obvious bald man then, said to me that "Man, you are losing hair too."

I checked in the mirror in the bathroom in the office and found to my dismay that the hair on both temples did look abit thin.?I was toatally depressed - my father and grandfater are both male pattern baldness, now it takes its toll on me finally.

Everyone who went throught the initial shock of niticing their losing hair may understands what I felt - panic, depression, getting mad, etc. I could not concerntrate on my work, and formed a habit of checking others' hair whenever possible, and the thought of getting bald in the coming few years completely frightened me.

The hair problem affected my work and life gravely - I was told I did not pass the probation period after 4 months with a portal web for I failed to show enough dedication to this company, and I went back home in October, worrying about my future and hairloss and with little money in my bank account.

All day I browsed the internet for treatment to hairloss and as well as for job opportunties. After 1 month and a half, I was offeded a position as editor for a local magazine (lucky me), and, much to my surprise, I found my hair was getting back before I actually took any treatment. I began to think that perhaps it was not male pattern baldness at all, for the genes on my mother's side did not show any sign of male pattern baldness, and maybe I was lucky enough to have inherited the HAIR NEVER LOSING genes from my mother.

HOWEVER, 2 months into this job, I noticed again the sign of losing more hair - this time it starts from the top rather than from the temples - and the hair got thinner for sure. I was throw into depression again, going through all those awful feeling all over one more time. Another 2 months passed, I was told, again, I did not pass the probation period and was therefore sent home AGAIN. Though it might not be related to my hairloss, but it was really discouraging at any rate.

Luckily I found another job as PR for a design company one week after departure from the magazine. As a PR my job was to deal with the media, exposed to all sorts of channels from TV, website, newspaper to radio, magazines and even books. Whenever I was under the spotlight, I was thinking about my hair, fearing people might comment on it when they find me in the TV or magazines.

In May of 2006, I attended a wedding of my college classmate. Almost all my friends said to me that "Man, you are losing hair!". Oh god, it is not the best sort of compliment I wanted to hear upon meeting with old friends.

Then one day, I finally decided to go to a doctor for help - it may sound stupid to many of you not to seek medical help earlier - and I went to see the doctor the next morning.

The doctor gave me a death sentence for my hair loss - she said there is practically no way of treating hair loss, all I could do is to pray and see what's going to happen. However, she did mention Propecia to me but she suggest I not take it as it would have side effects on me.

After I went home, I googled Propecia and LUCKILY, I found this website. After reading all those posts, I summoned enough courage to go on Proscar in August of 2006. Worry of sides replaced worry of hairloss in my worries list, and in the end the worry itself becme the top sides of proscar. Many reported a lower libido after taking proscar, but I did not notice it as I was never a very energetic man in my life. Another side is itching, I could recall experiencing unbearable itching all over my back (not head) briefly, though I'm not sure if it was really caused by proscar. The itching took place 2 or 3 times one month into proscar, but it did not last very long each time, say 5 or 10 mins, but when the itching took place, it was UNBEARABLE, believe me. About testicle pain ans watery sperm, I did feel it and saw it, but also, it could be caused by my worries. When you think that you balls would pain 20 times a day, I guess you would have to feel it. and it is the same logic with watery sperm.

Then in september, I went through 1st shed after going on proscar, typical reaction to it I think, noticing my hair falling down to the desk even when I was talking to the co-workers. I checked myself 20 times a day in the bathroom mirror, only finding a balding man with a sullen face in it. I checked this website each and everyday, looking for info about shed and everything. When it seemed all the shedding would continue for ever, my shed stopped, and it looked I even got a few fluffy hairs back on the temples.

It was not the first time I got my hair back, so I guess it was going to shed again. In November, I found myself unable to stand such a pressure before media anymore, I quitted the job and went home. During this period, I worked as a freelance writer for a website, earning penuts to buy my proscar.

From november to January of 2007, my hair kept getting thicker and thicker, and I was no longer afraid of going to meet myfriends and everything. No one would comment I was losing hair anymore, for I was NOT losing hair, as simple as this. In March, I began looking for a full time job again, and my hair had given me enough confidence to go to interviews.

In May I had a get together with friends, drinking and partying, we had alot of fun. Also in May I got a job as editor with a top publishing company, good pay and interesting work. It looked my life was back to normal, I no longer worried about my hair until -- it began to shed again in July.

After all these shed - getting back hair - shed ..., I was not totally paniced this time. Instead, I cut my hair short, like 2 or 3 centimeters long. The hair style looked cool to me, and I took proscar faithfuly everyday. The shed lasted longer than previous one, and it did not show any sign of stop until October. After that my hair began to get better, the temple fuller than before.

Now it is June of 2008, and there was no shed during this period - october of 2007 up to now. I can not predict if there is still shed ahead, but I do believe I have a good chance of getting better after the shed as I had before.

I just realized it is a long story, so I guess I'd better put some simple facts and advices below for your reference, and I wish you good luck with your battle against hairloss -- and belive me, you have a good chance of winning the battle.

Facts:

1. Proscar: works for treating my male pattern baldness, 1/4 a day in my case.

2. Sides exist: including itching on the back, testicle pain at early stages ( very minor though), watery sperm ( could be psychological, I cannot tell for sure because I dont see much of it usually :whistle: ), now all sides are gone,

3. Sheds are inevitable: could be very nasty and make you look like you are going bald the next morning, and could happen MORE THAN ONCE.

4. Regrowth on Proscar only: do expect SOME regrowth with Proscar only, you will get certain amount of hair back rather than stop losing hair only, but dont expect to get your pre-puberty hair amount back.

5. Hairloss: yes it keeps losing - very slowly, in my case, I got some hairs back on the temples, but the hairline KEEP receding - also very slowly, like 3 mm a year ( or it may sound alot for you?). The fact is my father was alreayd a male pattern baldness 2 or 3 at my age, but no one would say for sure I'm getting bald for now.

6. What you can expect in the future: in my case, I'm TIRED of worrying, and I'm old enough not to care about others' comments on me, for better or for worse.

7. Loyalty to Proscar: I took it faithfully for 1 year, and when I got some results I did not take it as faithfully. Now I took one day off proscar after 4 or 5 days, and sometimes I even forgot to take it for 3 or 4 days , or longer I could not recall.

8. What time of the day you should take proscar: I take it in the morning before breakfast -- a practice I learnt from a post somewhere over internet, I can not recall, and according to the post I read, the proscar works best if taken in early in the morning before breakfast. I'm not sure if it is true though, but since proscar worked for me, maybe it has a point to it. (this question was raised by a user of this site via private message to me, so feel free to leave your question here or send me private message, I'll try to answer your questions as best I can. )

9. Psychological adjustment: dont think that you are a patient relying on proscar for survival simply becasue you need to take MEDICINE every day. We are all "patients" in this sense -- we need take in various nutrients to survive, vitamin, protein, water, salt, etc, and the LACK of any of all those thinks could cause you big trouble, and proscar is simply one of them --- and the difference is you can drop it if you wish.

It is pretty late here in China, I'm going to sleep now and worry about my work rather than my hair. Also, as a old Chinese saying goes: If you are not worried about the future, you must be troubled with something ongoing. :) Life is not all about your hair, there are alot of other things that are alot more important than hairloss in everyone's life - a lesson I learnt during the past few years while battling with hairloss. Wish you luck!

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
indeed,great story........ :)

ps1freak

Established Member
Reaction score
I think you should add foam - it will thicken your thin spots !

If you did great on finasteride like I did, then you'll prob do great with foam.

Nice story~

septemberwind

Reaction score
ps1freak said:
I think you should add foam - it will thicken your thin spots !

If you did great on finasteride like I did, then you'll prob do great with foam.

Nice story~

thanks, ps1freak, I'd give it a try when I'm less busy. Thanks.

septemberwind

Reaction score
Cassin said:
I feel like we should be answering questions for you but you covered everything.

thanks Cassin, just wish I could be of some help to others seeking advices here.

k3nn7i

Established Member
Reaction score
hey yo! great story...

I've been on propecia for 1 year exactly and there is time I feel like stopping the treatments because I don't see results after my first regrowth. Till now, I'm still shedding. But again, thanks for the story. Maybe I should keep it another 3 months. :innocent:

fightDHT

Reaction score
well written...thanks for giving hope to us finasteride patients man....i am 2.5 months in and experiencing usual amount hair fall and dry scalp at this point....dunno wat is caused by finasteride and wat is not...but i really believe in finasteride and am gonna stick to it no matter what (partly coz my hair definitely seem healthier than before ...even the fallen hair seems consistently thick these days as against tapering wispyhair that i used to see before).....low libido and slight ball ache exists but not so troublesome....i particularly liked ur " psychological adjustment"....we throw garbage in our bodies most of the day without thinking twice with high sodium/fat content and god knows wat else...who the heck knows what all unknown compounds are present in the innocent egg that we eat every morning...

k3nn7i

Established Member
Reaction score
fightDHT said:
well written...thanks for giving hope to us finasteride patients man....i am 2.5 months in and experiencing usual amount hair fall and dry scalp at this point....dunno wat is caused by finasteride and wat is not...but i really believe in finasteride and am gonna stick to it no matter what (partly coz my hair definitely seem healthier than before ...even the fallen hair seems consistently thick these days as against tapering wispyhair that i used to see before).....low libido and slight ball ache exists but not so troublesome....i particularly liked ur " psychological adjustment"....we throw garbage in our bodies most of the day without thinking twice with high sodium/fat content and god knows wat else...who the heck knows what all unknown compounds are present in the innocent egg that we eat every morning...

Second to that...