Sequenceme's Story - (Rogaine made my hair worse!?!?)

sequenceme

Reaction score
Hello world! My name is William and I am here to share my hair loss story. I live in Los Angeles California and came across Farrell Hair Systems located in Beverly Hills and did some research on the company. Seemed to be valid and that they did good work, with locations all over the world, not some fly-by night place . Expensive but the hair pieces looked convincing. They were giving away a "free" hair system for people that wrote in and told them their sob stories, so I guess the best way to introduce myself here on Hairlosstalk.com is to copy the original email I sent them last year. Just for the record, I was never contacted by them.

"Hi, my name is William Acosta and I started losing my hair at the age of around twenty one. I noticed my hairline started receding and remember frantically counting the hairs that were falling out at an alarming rate all over my pillow. Since the age of fourteen I was diagnosed with major depression and anxiety. I had always suffered from low-self esteem, so much so that I rarely left the house, dropped out of school, didn't like going out with friends, etc. My parents sent me to countless psychiatrists, therapists and I have tried everything from bio-feedback to hypnosis to cure these deep-rooted feelings of inadequacy. Well, here I am at thirty seven years old, still struggling with not only severe depression and social phobia (I rarely go out because I feel so hideous) but now my hairline has just receded to the point of being unacceptable to me. I haven't worked since 2007 because of my fear of being out in the general public. When I do go out I wear a hat and feel somewhat comfortable but always feel like I am hiding and hate that. Plus people always ask why I never take my hat off. One of my biggest fears of being bald is that I have a huge dent in my skull that was formed during childbirth that looks like a big scar from brain surgery or something. And to make matters worse, four years ago I developed a pilar cyst that grew on the top of my head which I had removed. Well, after two unsuccessful operations it never healed and I now have a hole in my head that occasionally will discharge a yellowish sebum which is really gross and devastating. In my teens I suffered from severe acne on my face, chest, scalp and back. So bad in fact that I was put on Accutane which finally got rid of it for the most part but I have acne scars on my face and head to just make the whole situation of going bald insurmountable. I cry myself to sleep every night hoping that I don't wake up. As a musician in my teens and twenties, my hair meant so much to me and defined my style. I no longer write music anymore as I lost my spirit somewhere along the way. I've also always been interested in acting but now I just feel like a monster and without confidence, there is very little you can succeed at in life. I also miss the attention and company of the opposite sex. No flirting or dating for me. I don't just have low self-esteem these days... I have NO self-esteem. I am afraid that I will never meet an attractive woman and settle down and have a family. I feel I am running out of time. What woman would want to go out with a guy with so many physical flaws? Luckily I have two beautiful dogs (my kids) that keep me going and give me unconditional love. I know in my heart that if I had a full head of hair, things would be different and I wouldn't suffer as much as I do. I have been looking into the Farrell hair systems online and they look great, I just know I couldn't afford it. I wish I could just shave my head and get on with my life like every other guy seems to be able to do as they deal with male pattern baldness but like I said, what with the dent in my skull, the hole in my head from the cyst and the acne scars on my head, that is not an option for me. I hope someone hears my story and my cry for help. I have pictures I can send if needed. Thank you so much for giving us hair loss sufferers a chance to vent along with the possibility of a life changing opportunity.

Sincerely,

Mr. Acosta"

So now it is May 2011 and I just started using Rogaine Foam Extra Strength and been on countless vitamin supplements with all the ingredients that are supposed to help with hair: Biotin, Saw Palmetto, Vitamin B's, Vitamin D, etc.
Well, now I really wish I never started on the Rogaine as my hair has deteriorated incredibly since using it. I really was hesitant to start it and had been contemplating it for years because I didn't want to be on some chemical for the rest of my life to keep my hair but I finally broke down and gave it a chance. Boy, what a mistake! My hairline has receded about 1 inch 1/2 in just one month and a half and the hair on my crown is more diffused and thinner than it was before. :sobbing: I know it is only proven to regrow hair on the crown but i have read some men experience hair growth on their hairlines and temples so I have been applying it all over. Now to be fair (and not just blaming the Rogaine) I have also been taking new anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds which list hair loss as a "possible" side effect AND I am also a smoker of twenty three years. I take Clonazepam (Klonopin) 3mg x day, Risperidone (Risperdal) 0.5 mg x day and Mirtazapine (Remeron) 30mg x day. So... to sum it all up, I will be turning 38 this year and I am now about a Norwood 3.5. Severe receding hairline and general all over thinning. I usually buzz my head to a #2 or #1 but hate doing so because of the unhealed cyst hole and the huge dent in my skull that show with my hair that short. I have been trying to grow out my hair but it is just a slow process and it seems like the longer it gets, the worse my hair looks. The sides and back grow ok but the front doesn't seem to grow much. I thought my hairline was bad before starting the Rogaine but like I mentioned, in just less than two months my hairline has been destroyed. :(
Has anyone else experienced severe hair loss in such a short period using Rogaine or perhaps taking these specific psych meds?

Thanks my fellow balding/bald brothers,

William

Attachments

• Picture 124.jpg
    Picture 124.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 415
  • Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 377
  • Picture 107.jpg
    Picture 107.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 596
  • Picture 261.jpg
    Picture 261.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 370

Johnx

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Hi! I'm new here! Rogaine made my hair worse!?!?

This is just my opinion, but you look so good with shaved head and glasses.

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Hi! I'm new here! Rogaine made my hair worse!?!?

The bald look actually suits you well :)

sequenceme

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the kind words. :punk: So I did it, i decided to shave my head clean and ditch the Rogaine. Thankfully, the cyst has closed up but there is still a big scar there and I can't do anything about the dent in my head. Oh well, I am what I am and that's all that I am. :) Just gotta get some sun now because I am glowing white! Argh! I think everyone should shave their head at least once in their lifetime just to experience it. It is kinda invigorating and drastic but you might like it once you get used to it.

Johnx

Established Member
Reaction score
Way to go dude! You look good shaved and no more worrying about your hair, you now can be free of the stupid hairloss problem and enjoy your life.

I will repeat myself but you really do look good shaved, and with those glasses and facial hair I must say you even look stylish :bravo:

sequenceme

Reaction score
The grass is always greener...

Thanks for the compliment BeHairNow. It's funny because it is only online that I get compliments about my shaved head and of course they are always only from men. Funny thing is my personality is the total opposite of a bad boy. I am goofy, shy, sensitive and introverted. So my attitude doesn't really match the way I look with the shaved head. In the real world (read: not on the Internet) I am only chastised and insulted when i shave my head. Everyone asks me "Why did you do that to yourself? You looked so much better with hair! What is that sh*t on your head? Dude, why?" And I remember ex-girlfriends that really hated it. My first girlfriend when I was 17 refused to kiss me until I grew my hair back! Well, that's one of the reasons she is an "ex". Without hair or hats, I might as well be invisible when it comes to attracting the opposite sex. I remember when i was in college I would meet lots of cute girls with my hat on and they would give me their numbers and Facebook page. Then, once they saw pictures of me without a hat on Facebook they stopped talking to me! Cold, I know but true. Also, pictures hide a lot of flaws. Other than the close up of my cyst you can't really see how bad my skin is or how deep my dent is from the pics I posted. From your pics BeHairNow, it looks like you never had a pimple in your life. You have really great skin and the perfect head for baldness. I wish I could look like you actually! Hehe. I read your story and saw the crazy regimen you are on and my honest advice is to forget all that stuff, save yourself a lot of money and time and just shave it clean. You would look great and "normal". Please never get a hair transplant, I have heard too many horror stories. Basically, I have never heard anything positive from the general public and family without my hair so when I hear guys complimenting me online I begin to wonder if it's maybe just a "guy thing", how we think shaved heads look cool or make a guy look like a bad-***. I know lots of women like the bad boy look but the reason Bruce Willis and Jason Statham and Vin Diesel can get away with it but I can't is they were handsome men to begin with. Anyways, thanks again for all the support guys. :bravo:

Rashan

Reaction score
I agree 100%! William you're a really good looking guy with that shaved head. Funny thing is I have a full set of hair and sometimes contemplate just shaving it all off to get that "Bad Boy" look you got going in hopes of landing me a hot chick.

HeHateMe23

Reaction score
Congrats OP.

You're one of the 10% or so of men who look better with a shaved head.

I wish I could say the same for myself.