Serious NIZORAL CONCERNS for everyone...

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
hey guys ive got some serious concerns about our general use of nizoral.

most use nizoral about 2-3x per week. i usually use it once but often twice too. i was thinking about keeping it strictly 2-3x a week, because of all this talk about the possibility that nizoral has some regrowth properties (being compared to minoxidil 1x a day).

so i was excited about using nizoral a bit more regularly. but on the bottle, and on the leaflet, it distinctly says in a number of places...

nizoral should be used 2-3 times a week for the first week, then once every 1 or 2 weeks thereafter. it says in many places, in bold letters, do not use more frequently than directed. in one place, it even says please do not use more than directed.

guys, couldnt this be overkill for the scalp and hair? views please.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score

Deaner

Reaction score
Heh, used it for the 4th day in a row today... I dunno why, I just love the way it makes my scalp feel :p

Deaner

Reaction score
Why don't they make a fluconazole shampoo? :( I don't care if it's a little more expensive, it's safer!

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah but thats talking about oral nizoral, which is something quite different i guess because its 200mg in pill form. anyway, it says the pill suppresses testosterone...so does nizoral on the scalp act as a topical suppressor of testosterone/dht locally?

also, there must be some scalp/hair related reason as to why nizoral bottles say to never use it more than recommended (2-3 times a week for 2 weeks, once every 1 or 2 weeks thereafter). could people be doing more damage than good?

and what do people think about nizoral acting as a growth stimulant? anyone got a link to the data about nizoral being compared to minoxidil?

someone needs to shed some light on this topic. im not sure whether to hold off and use nizoral 1x week so it does damage my follicles, or to use it 3x a week because it might do a lot of good. help!!

asolof

Established Member
Reaction score
youngguy_uk

I found one study in which the subjects were treated DAILY for 6 weeks with ketoconazole 2% shampoo for the treatment of tinea capitus (ringworm of the scalp). 33% were cured. No toxicity was observed. This was interesting also in that it is normally believed that you cannot cure tinea capitus with topical treatments; that you require systemic antifungal drugs to cure it.

I can't help but believe that a significant amount of its beneficial effect in male pattern baldness is due to its antimicrobial effect, thereby keeping the scalp healthy. So I was concerned that the chronic use of this would lead to drug resistance by the yeasts that cause dandruf and the fungi (dermatophytes) that cause tinea capitus. I could not find any documentation (MEDLINE) that microbial resistance with chronic use is a problem.