Serious shedding after stopping minoxidil for 1week - considering stopping

Yop

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post so be gentle :),

I am 21 and I first started noticing hair loss in September 2012. It was very aggressive, and given that my father and three older brothers have all experienced severe hair loss I decided I would try to do something about it.

In March 2013, given the magnitude of the hair loss, and the family history, I decided to start on the big 3.

I experienced moderate shedding until June 2013, at which point the hair loss stabilized. Although I don't think there was any regrowth to speak of, my hair by this point was still not noticeably thinned and I was happy that the loss has stopped.

I went on holiday for the first week of July and forgot to take my minoxidil with me, so did not use it for that time period. Almost immediately I noticed the hair loss return to the rate at which it had been before treatment. I have been using it since i returned from holiday and have been experiencing a serious shed (far more than I lost the first time around). It has now been going on for about 6 weeks.

This shed has shocked me into doing more research into the treatments and I have been pretty scared by some horror stories on these forums: from what I can gather, lots of guy experience continuous shedding with little regrowth from minoxidil, or repeated aggressive shedding cycles. My hair is now at the point where, if I lose much more it will begin to be noticeable, and I am considering stopping the minoxidil due to the severity of the shedding. I was wondering if anyone knows:

1) If minoxidil and finasteride together caused my hair loss to more or less stop after 3 months the first time around, is it likely that I can expect a similar result in the same time frame after the week break from minoxidil?
2) If I stop using minoxidil will I lose even more hair? Is there any chance of regrowing the hair it has caused me to shed if I stop it?

This shed is really bothering me and any advice would be really helpful.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong here but one thing I have noticed from reading all the stories on this forum is that if you are a good responder to minoxidil, you will be more likely to shed drastically if you skip or miss it even just a few days. I am not a good responder and there are times I don't use Rogaine on purpose for a week or two due to my scalp condition and I don't see much difference in hair fall. By the way, I am shedding constantly since the very beginning of the treatment.

If I were you, I would wait and see another few months. Good luck!