Sezarin's Story (23 w/ pics; considering finasteride)

Sezarin

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've glanced at a few topics before posting and am familiar with the "Big 3." Please see the attachment for the images (in one montage).

Genetics: Dad is ~56 and bald. He had a bald spot at 29 which expanded and met his receding hairline at ~50-53. His father was bald too. Mom's side doesn't have male pattern baldness.

History:
Age 15-16: I remember someone teasing me for having a "bald spot" but I'm pretty sure that has always been there.

Age 18: Massive hair shedding begins, concurrent with physical and mental stress (overwork, sleep deprivation, crash dieting, and depression). It might have just been "natural" hair loss due to my maturation, or it could have been a telogen effluvium sort of thing. I had hairballs clogging the shower drain, hair all over the pillow, etc. After about a year of this, I went to a hairstylist (it was my first time going to one) and she said that my hair was thin.

Age 19: Still shedding tons.

Age 20: Still had a lot of hair loss, stress, and another crash diet (didn't learn). My relatives, who I hadn't seen in years, told me my hair was thin. I was definitely concerned with hair loss at this point.

Age 21: My friends told me my hair was thin (lol).

Age 22: I don't remember whether my shedding had stopped or not. Started using over-the-counter Nizoral 1% on and off. It makes my hair look better cosmetically (the hairs are more separate, I think), but I'm not sure if it has any effect on the actual hair density.

Age 23: Lost a lot of weight over the past year. I don't lose TOO many hairs in the shower or on my pillow, but I have thin hair. I think it's worse than 2 years ago.

It's the thinness between the "bald spot" and my hairline that's most concerning to me. My hairline and temples have both receded a bit too, I think. I don't mind male pattern baldness so much as I mind premature male pattern baldness. If I were 43 and thinning, that's not terrible, but I'm only 23! I have an itchy scalp and hair that needs to be washed almost everyday. I often find sebum plugs (small greasy lumps? ew), sometimes with miniaturized or full-bodied hairs embedded in them. I wear my hair long-ish with a sort of combover style (I'd wear my hair like that even if I didn't have male pattern baldness).

Current plan:

Exercise, eat, and sleep right
Take multivitamin a few times per week
See family doctor; get blood work done just to make sure
See dermatologist and ask him/her to do a hair count; check again in 6 months?

I can't take finasteride right now and risk getting a shed because I have some upcoming interviews. Should I take generic finasteride and 2% Nizoral next year when I'm 24? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• HairLossMontage.jpg
    HairLossMontage.jpg
    919.1 KB · Views: 588

georg

Reaction score
I thought I saw my hair in your pictures, lol. Also have black hair.
I just had a buzz cut and it's liberating. 3 on top, 2 on the sides and 1 on edges.
just preparing for the worst. It's better to get used to it now. It's better to show people now that you're balding in the future. Sooner they will get use to how you look like. And always carry confidence with you no matter what.
I guess that's the best ending of all this problem.
Just embrace nature. Even if you treat it and let's say grow some hair back, you would still lose gradually. Just a waste of money and time.
I personally cannot bear with all those side effects. It's not worth it. I don't want to mess with my overall health. - my .02c

my story: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=61210

Sezarin

Reaction score
georg said:
It's better to get used to it now. It's better to show people now that you're balding in the future. Sooner they will get use to how you look like. And always carry confidence with you no matter what.
I guess that's the best ending of all this problem.
Just embrace nature. Even if you treat it and let's say grow some hair back, you would still lose gradually. Just a waste of money and time.
I personally cannot bear with all those side effects. It's not worth it. I don't want to mess with my overall health. - my .02c

Um,
1) You're 30, I'm 23.
2) If you're just going to embrace it, why did you join a forum where many people opt for unproven treatments or even hair transplants?

I do agree with you that I don't want to mess with my overall health, but side effects are indeed side effects; many people do not experience them.

Can anyone else comment? Has my hair gotten a lot worse? Unfortunately, lighting, humidity, and hair cleanliness make a huge difference. I think I'll go see a dermatologist, ask for a hair density measurement, and check back again in 6 months... thoughts? :)

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
Your hair is not that bad. Get on finasteride for sure and minoxidil if you want. I did get sides from finasteride but they went away after a few days. I think you should be able to recover from this.

I wish I started treatment while I still had hair like yours.