Sgtpep's Story - (20/yo Big 3 -1 year update) - urgent help.

sgtpep

Reaction score
EDIT!! Recent - skip to last page to see up-to-date-ness

Hey there, i'm 20 year old guy out of Sydney. Australia.

Basically around this time last year i noticed my hair started thinning on the crown area. Put off doing anything about it because of the area it affects. You see im about 6 foot 4 inches, so rarely ever do people even see the crown area. The way i found out was at poker one night and some guy was like "going thin huh?", and from then on everyday felt like a paranoid induced shitstorm(lack of better words).

A few things about my hair;
Always have had very thin hair and a widows peak. the front of my hair hasn't moved at all but the crown seems to be getting slowly worse.

Brief family history.
No male on my fathers side went bald, including Uncles/grandfather.
I have no uncles on my mothers side but her dad went bald at 25 and so did his brothers.

This is my Regime
2% Nizoral every 3rd day - with a scalp moisturizing conditioner to stop irritation.
2 MLs of a 7%Minoxidil/ 0.01% Retinoic Acid every day (1ml morning/1ml night)- Liquid
and 1/4 of a "PROSCAR" 5mg Finasteride Tablet

"before you consider the photos, when i do this in my bathroom using two mirrors it looks alot better than in the photos, the camera has a flash on it so im assuming the extra scalp your seeing is the flash rather than how it really looks, im not in anyway in denial im just saying that i need to get a better quality camera before the shots start are less contaminated by technology"

The day before i started treatment.

29659240.jpg

photo270n.jpg

After a shower

32297980.jpg

photo80w.jpg

This pic was not long after i 1st started noticing(year before i shaved my head and started treatment

as you can see when my hair is long you can't really notice any thinning. as soon as it gets short and in the wrong light i look 10 years older with a bald spot.

anyway i've already accepted going bald, i don't expect the treatments to work on me but i do remain patient with sticking to my regime.

sgtpep

Reaction score
Re: New here, My story, Feedback appreciated.

I posted a bit late, But i'm One month into it now.

There is not a great deal of visual change, lighting and how much dirt/grease is on my hair really dictate how much scalp you see at this current time, im hoping at the 4 months milestone i will begin to see some mild regrowth other than my constantly feeling my scalp for tiny hairs :'(
I'm getting sides every time i used the minoxidil. but only for 5 mins, i seem to get this mild head ache that kinda feels like being underwater with a blocked sinus if you know that feeling.

for a while i think the fina was giving me some testicular pain but no pain no game.

Libido went ^ funny enough, but i think low libido and low self esteem going hand in hand, i'm more confident in the Regime and with my hairs appearance.
side-effects don't bother me, having a full head of hair out weighes headaches and ball aches..

My hair no longer feels Soft and unmanageable, Not it is obviously courser, this was brought to me by a friend of mine who was running her hand through my hair, ( i work with hands alot and my fingers are covered with callouses from guitar so i can't really notice stuff like that on my own), It is now able to style and not be weighed down by products, also im losing about 10(ten) hairs a day max which is something i find amazing.

Pics will be up at 4 months, this was just an initial update to report on the sides and change in texture to my hair.

QUESTION!!!
I just have one question to pose to you all, I haven't noticed any of these "SHEDS" yet, is this something that will happen in later months or do some people just miss it? because i missed having pimples as a teen so im hoping this is similar to that XD XD "please mind the tasteless joke.."

PSOh and a little note to who ever is reading, If you have longer hair, your hair is heavier, if you are diagnosed with MBP and you have weak hair that is long, you are 100% going to notice how many more hairs you lose.

adolobe

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: New here, My story, Feedback appreciated.

I'll chime in with a little info on min

To answer your question about rubbing it in. Yes and NO. You do not need to message the solution into the scalp, you do want to cover the area that is desired to be treated for greater absorption.

Now don't be fooled in thinking the Min is only affective on the location you place it. Minoxidil once absorbed spreads out. Examples of this is people who have experienced thicker beards, eye brows, nose hair, chest hair and even back hair.

Personally I always had pretty thin eye brows but after being on Minoxidil the past 5 months they have filled in and actually a slight unibrow is starting appear which I never had before. I only apply Minoxidil to my scalp and never allow it run down my for head or neck.

sgtpep

Reaction score
Re: "EARLY SUCCESS!!"Sgtpep - 20y/o, Big 3 -UPDATED

Ok so check this out.

for the last month and a bit i've been on this regime and you can see.

i've avoided looking at my scalp because it depresses this sh*t out of me, but today i did it.
and i'm starting to feel really confident with the treatment.
photo250r.jpg

This is without any product in my hair. i just applied the minoxidil about 2 hours ago.

but wow i'm really impressed KNOCK ON WOOD.

sgtpep

Reaction score
Re: Sgtpep's Story - (20/ Big 3 -TWO MONTH UPDATe (noticable )

Hey, just a pic.

the pic i took last month (i.e the one above has horrible lighting in my favor ill delete it now, this pic how ever is well lit and shows the real progress. its working slowing, heaps of re-growth just start so staying hopeful. see u at 4 months.

sgtpep

Reaction score
Re: Sgtpep's Story - (20/ Big 3 - 4 Month UPDATE

4 MONTH UPDATE!!

hello.
ok just a quick few words before the shots.
i want to cancel using minoxidil because of the hassle it is, i need to use it 4 hours before i go an do anything, whcih is hard when u have work/uni/social life, so is there another alternative that won't have such long last effects.
also if i stop using it and KEEP using the Fina will i loose progress or will the fina keep it where its at??

WET
photo254m.jpg

DRYish
photo255v.jpg

DRY and how i wear it usually.
photo256n.jpg

Now im starting to notice my right temple thinning. but i look back through photos of me and see it started long before i knew. seems to have stopped

and im getting no shedding at all, maybe loose 5 hairs max a day.. and my hands are always going through it.. damn OCD/

anyway.i think its working. if anybody could answer that question it would be cool./

and good luck to you all... see you at 8.

sgtpep

Reaction score
Re: Sgtpep's Story - (20/ Big 3 - 4 Month UPDATE

photo259k.jpg

This months'
Thoughts anybody???

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: Sgtpep's Story - (20/ Big 3 - 4 Month UPDATE)

Man that crown looks a lot similar to mine when my hair is a little short.I grow it long in order to cover up the thinning areas and especially the temples[sort of like a combover].

Your crown seems to have improved compared to the baseline pics and I cant really spot much difference between the pics taken while you were on minoxidil and the one after stopping it.If you were really benefitted by minoxidil then you would shed in the next couple of months if not,finasteride was responsible for all the regrowth in your case.

I cant understand why people stop MIN when they dont get sides from it :dunno: It isn't that difficult to apply and hardly takes a minute or two max.If you are allergic to the liquid there is always the option of trying the foam.Remember one thing though,any hairloss treatment is permanent and as long as we are in a body that is genetically susceptible to hairloss,we have to fight it everyday to keep what we have.

sgtpep

Reaction score
Re: Sgtpep's Story - (20/ Big 3 - 4 Month UPDATE)

thanks for the words man, its weird though, my hair looks better and alot of people keep telling me this, but now more than ever i feel like wearing a hat.
another thing is i havent had a hair cut since i've started so that might be something to do.
OCTOBER
photo258.jpg

*i['m not obsessed or anything. this is just the best way to procrastinate uni work*

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Re: Sgtpep's Story - (20/yo Big 3 - 5 Month UPDATE)

Looking good dude. Glad you caught it early.

Too many people come to this site after its too late and get depressed cause its hard to grow it back when you're missing most of it.

sgtpep

Reaction score

Just got a hair cut, took a photo and saw this.
photo256e.jpg

sh*t works.

is there any procedure for phasing out minoxidil? or even minimizing the times i use it. so once a day?

Success story yet?

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score

looking a hell of a lot better man, congrats on all the progress.

cuebald

Reaction score

definite success story. excellent results

sgtpep

Reaction score

relapsed on meds.... basically bald now

kabooski

Reaction score

Oh c'mon mate can't be that bad. Could be a bad shed?

post up some pictures

sgtpep

Reaction score
mvs31w.jpg

Definitely the best quality photo taken so far... uhh thank you new gen phone.
but as you can see, there is still heaps of hair in that spot.. its just degrading at a very fast rate. i'm also losing an intense amount of hairs atm. (50+ a day, which is way more than i used to notice, which was maybe 10+ max a day.... who says 100 is average?)

My current regime is
Nizoral
Finas (1/4 of a 5mg tablet)
I cut out minoxidil around April and wanted to see if i could keep the hair that i grew with minoxidil with Finas, you know like a running start sort of, it seems to be half working, but i've had my only sheds in 1 year recently, because of this. maybe i should go back on to minoxidil?? thoughts please.