Shampoos

Determined

Reaction score
Hi, I've been reading the forum for about a week now. Very informative forum I must say. Noticing a bit of hair thinning, so I'm going to go to the doctor soon. (I've been trying to become an expert on hairloss the past 2 weeks)

If the doctor(s) end up telling me I have male pattern baldness, I think I'm going to start out with Propecia and Nizoral 1% (I live in the U.S.)

I know that I'll be using Nizoral 2-3 times per week, but what Shampoos do you guys think are good for the other 4-5 days of the week?

Thickening Shampoos? Stimulating Shampoos? Delicate Shampoos?
Should I use conditioners?

I want to attack this problem effectively. Post brands of Shampoos that you have heard work, or work best for you.

Thanks in advance.

G

get yourself a good conditioner and use something mild on the off days, a baby shampoo even.

Ty

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
my personal favorites for off days are:
Shampoos: Diametress by Nexxus and Biolage Hydrating Shampoo
Conditioners: Nioxin Scalp Therapy and Biolage Conditioning Balm.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
I had 51 years of off days and it didn't work. I don't have off days too often any longer. :wink:

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Determined said:
I know that I'll be using Nizoral 2-3 times per week, but what Shampoos do you guys think are good for the other 4-5 days of the week?

Use Head & Shoulders or another poo with pyrithione zinc (Pantene even makes one). For more info, read the "Head & Shoulders" thread. Caution: Homoeroticism abounds.

Cassin

Reaction score
Temples said:
Determined said:

Use Head & Shoulders or another poo with pyrithione zinc (Pantene even makes one). For more info, read the "Head & Shoulders" thread. Caution: Homoeroticism abounds.

Wrong, this is a horrible idea for a newbie.

You need to give your scalp a rest from medicated shampoos (especially for a newbie just adding stuff). Do not use medicated shampoos back to back unless you have used them for an extended period of time with breaks and have a very good idea of how you will react. You may be fine for a few months but stick around long enough and you will have read from some people having bad reactions even after half a year.

At first you need to rotate a gentle shampoo in between medicated shampoos. Any shampoo should be ok to rotate as long as it's not a straightener or medicated.

OUR scalp has a natural way of repairing itself and over medicating our scalp is a bad idea since most medicated shampoos have a tendency to be very strong and thereby causing irritation and drying our scalps.

EDIT: Zipping up flame suit. :)

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Head & Shoulders is so mild it can be used everyday. He's in no danger. :boom:

BostonHawk

Established Member
Reaction score
a lot of people on regrowth.com suggest paul mitchell tea tree shampoo. Any thoughts?

Petchsky

Reaction score
Thats good stuff. In fact i'm a big fan of natural herb shampoos, jo joba et al