Shaved head & minoxidil

Stefan

Reaction score
I've been shaving my head for years now and am quite happy with the look though I have tried to battle further hair loss through the combination MinFin. Had to go off the finasteride though because of the effects it had on my mood so I continued with the minoxidil and feel it does a proper job at preserving my hair line and overall thickness.
I just read a warning saying that minoxidil should not be applied on a shaved head. Does anyone knows what's the deal with this? Is it because of possible lesions to the skin that would allow for too much minoxodil entering the blood stream, although I understand this is a very, very small risk?? I shave approx 2-3 times a week and when applied right after shaving, minoxidil stings like hell, probably dueb to the alcohol, so I try to avoid it and rubbing some oil on the scalp first.
And would it be safer to apply a couple of hours after shaving?
Why do the include this warning?

Petchsky

Reaction score
Personally i have never seen or read that notice, so this is the first i have heard about it....but, i have been using it for about 18 months and i use to shave my head and apply with no probs and you will find plenty of posters on this website that do the same.

As for a freshly shaved head and minoxidil application, best to wait 30 mins after razoring. As for including it in the warning its probably a double covering of their backs with the current compensation culture.

:p

asolof

Established Member
Reaction score
Stefan,

The reason for this warning is the concern that microabraisions of the scalp from fresh shaving may increase the systemic absorption of the minoxidil and therefore increase the chance of side effects.

Stefan

Reaction score
Petchsky said:
Personally i have never seen or read that notice, so this is the first i have heard about it....but, i have been using it for about 18 months and i use to shave my head and apply with no probs and you will find plenty of posters on this website that do the same.

As for a freshly shaved head and minoxidil application, best to wait 30 mins after razoring. As for including it in the warning its probably a double covering of their backs with the current compensation culture.

:p

Here's where I read it: http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/30003728/
Do not apply minoxidil to broken, infected, shaved or inflamed (swollen) skin.
So I assume they mean freshly shaved skin though it's not mentioned how long you actually have to wait before applying it then...

G

If you do it like normal shaving then I would apply cold water to the scalp after shaving. This will close all pores and maybe help with the minoxidil application.

asolof

Established Member
Reaction score
That's the "reason" for it. How often it really matters, that's another thing. I doubt if anyone actually tested it. That is, measured minoxidil blood levels and symptom frequencies after application of 1ml of 5% minoxidil on 2 groups of men, one freshly shaven, the other not.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
If it helps any at all... I have been shaving my head for several weeks now, and have maintained my normal minoxidil applications, with no added side effect or irritation. minoxidil was originally intended to apply directly to the scalp and not the hair after all. I usually wait about 5 minutes after a fresh shave, then apply. No stinging or side effects. Then again, everyones reaction is different, and I have been using it for years, so it's all about adaptation.

XL

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i used to get really bad head aches when i used minoxidil... i was shaving my head at the time too.

HairFarmer

Established Member
Reaction score
I simply shave my head with clippers and its short enough for me. The only way i'd bic my head is if I had developed some bald spots. For now this thinning is somewhat tolerable.

I tend to use less minoxidil and the coverage is awesome. Not a single side effect from the minoxidil..