Shed after a year?

img23

Banned
Reaction score
So they say it is normal within a year to shed on finasteride. But what about after a year of use? Seems like I am experiencing it now, reading it is supposed to be good within a year's time of starting, but what does it mean if it happens later than a year's time? Good or bad, that is what I am wondering.

bwaters2000

Reaction score
It might mean that your body has developed immunity to the med so med is no longer working and male pattern baldness has regained the control of the hair follicles.

I think you should consult with a doctor, but I think all that a doctor can do is to prescribe a different med. Maybe something like a DUTASTERIDE
, and unfortunately one of those "Be patient, give it at least X amount of time, and let's see how you respond".

img23

Banned
Reaction score
Immunity... is that something that can actually happen? I have never heard of it. I don't mind a shed and can ride it out, but only if it means something better on the other side (if it is not good, would simply up my dose but don't know yet). I didn't have a big shed the first year, I am a year and a half in and this seems to be the first one. Just don't know if this shed means it's working or not working.

If a shed occurred within the first year, I would automatically assume it was taking hold. But I am getting close to the two year mark and now getting a shed. Any statistics to tell me either way?

bwaters2000

Reaction score
Difficult to say w/o knowing how you fared on med during the 1s year. I would not totally go by statistics as everyone differs in their reponse to the meds. There are those for whom the meds do not work at all. For some, it works about a year. For some, around 5 years. For others, 10+ years.

If you don't mind, I would like to know how you responded to the finasteride during your 1st year for my understanding and for benefit of others considering finasteride. Have you seen growth and thickening during the 1st year? Or just maintained what you had before finasteride?

It does seem odd, if the 1st round of shedding phase happens after 1 year. It might be worth getting a Doctor's opinion.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
s320 said:
So they say it is normal within a year to shed on finasteride. But what about after a year of use? Seems like I am experiencing it now, reading it is supposed to be good within a year's time of starting, but what does it mean if it happens later than a year's time? Good or bad, that is what I am wondering.

I'm experiencing a shed at 11 months. Definitely been losing about 150 hairs a day or so. It is mostly non-miniaturized hair that I lose.

Don't worry about the immunity, that is not going to be the case. Maybe it is a periodic shed, maybe we need a stronger dose. I will give it some time and ride it out. I have seen thickening and the hairline is coming in. I doubt that finasteride is not working.

Also, having looked at the 10 year study of finasteride, there was hardly ANYBODY that had lower haircount after 10 years of finasteride usage. So I think we should not freak out and stay on course for regrowth.

Good luck!