Shed almost immediately after stopping Propecia?

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
I stopped taking Propecia for 10 days (I had a persistent side effect, which went after about a week of stopping).

I then went onto 0.25mg for a week, then 0.5mg for a week then back to the full dosage recently.

I kept applying minoxidil as usual.

However, I am having a massive shed.

About 5 minutes ago I applied minoxidil and there was about 60 hairs in the sink, and this has been typical over the last week or so. The hairs are a mixture of thin ones and some are quite thick.

I am around 8 months into treatment with promising results.

Is this a coincidental shed? I read loads that people experience a shed after about 5 - 8 months so do you think it's a 'good' shed or a 'bad' shed?

Surely it can't be because I came off it for 10 days? I always believed that because of the nature of the drug, DHT would have to start shrinking the follicles and such all over again which takes more than 10 days?

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
Doubt it's a shed to worry about after only ten days of stopping the finasteride. I've been stable on finasteride now for about 5 months but even now and again I'll notice more hair come out on some days than others. It's scares the **** outta me too.
Just try not to think about it, you're back on the finasteride now anyway. Good luck

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
This is what I thought, but the shed is horrible. I could expect a maximum of 10 hairs in the sink (I apply my minoxidil over the sink... force of habit) but now there's loads, like last night there was 60.

However, it's good people get intermittent sheds because it suggests I'm just having one of them.

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
It's slowed down massively already... it was 30 - 60 a day down to around 10 hairs a day in the sink now... in such a short space of time as well. I recall having a shed within the first 3 months and then I responded very quickly and had good growth so fingers crossed for more hair!

Tonight someone said to me "you have hair!".... the only times they have seen me was in a hat, so this felt nice!

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
Although I am still shedding, it's massively less than when I originally posted... and my hair is really thick! I was so surprised with it. It's dark brown, thick, covering much more of the scalp now. I think I hit the 7/8 month shed stage - which seems to be common - and then regrowth started shortly after.

So impressed and it's still getting thicker! :D