shedding 5 months into treatment

AussieExperiment

Established Member
Reaction score
I know this post adds no value to this forum, but what the hell.

I have been on proscar for about 5 months and minoxidil for about 4 months. I had been seeing some good results aswell. I reckon I had experienced about 40%-50% extra coverage.

Then approx one week ago, BAM. In the morning and at night when I brush my hands through my hair, my hair keeps falling out, and falling out, and falling out. Each day I count in excess of 150 hairs.

In fact I am probably losing more from the sides than the top. And all the hairs are thick, terminal hairs. I don't actually have any vellus hairs on my head.

I have been a member here long enough to know it is probably just a shed, but man it sucks.

I am suprised to be experiencing this 4-5 months into treatment. I thought shedding was more common in the first couple of months. Is shedding 4-5 months into treatment normal? Should I be considering dutasteride?

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
I've on my 5th month of finasteride as well.

I've stopped minoxidil, and I hope to get good regrowth from finasteride. I think I'm in a shed right now too, not sure, but I am losing quite a few hairs a day. I believe it is normal to experience sheds at any time, and all you have to do is ride it out. Goodluck.

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of very suddenly losing all my hair if I stop minoxidil. What if I were to travel overseas, or go on a holiday somewhere? I would not want to carry minoxidil around with me.

I also don't like applying it every day. I prefer the simple idea of taking a pill of finasteride a day.

Been off minoxidil for 5 months now, quit it when I started propecia.

G

person_123 said:
I don't like the idea of very suddenly losing all my hair if I stop minoxidil. What if I were to travel overseas, or go on a holiday somewhere? I would not want to carry minoxidil around with me.

I also don't like applying it every day. I prefer the simple idea of taking a pill of finasteride a day.

Been off minoxidil for 5 months now, quit it when I started propecia.

Where were you applying the minoxidil? What norwood are you?

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
I was applying the minoxidil all around my head, crown and temples mostly concentrated on, I gave the back of the head and sides a miss.

I think I am a Norwood 2. I have no bald patches yet, but the top is getting thin fast and the temples have slight recession, which is why I am scared.