Shedding 500-1k daily, Finasteride

done

Reaction score
I need some quick advice on this, because this shedding is completely and utterly changed everything.

I started taking 1/4 Finasteride pills about 3 weeks ago, and for the last week I have been shedding uncontrollably. I've lost pretty much 40% of my hair, maybe more, and I don't know what to do. It's important to note that I wasn't visibly bald before i started on the dosage. But it's a completely different story now. I feel like I should stop before i get too deep. My guess is that I'm not regrowing any of the hair I lost in the last 7 days, but will the shedding be over quickly if I stop taking the Finasteride? The reason I want to stop is because it's only been 3 weeks and I've lost almost half of what I had in the last 7 days. Every shower is a nightmare and if I keep taking the dosage i would probably be left with no hair by the end of the month..

And I've been reading accounts of 1-3 months of shedding periods.. Not good for my case. Any help is more than appreciated.

bobhairly

Reaction score
depressing isnt it mate, some people have enough hair or its short enough that shedding is not too obvious, but you, like me, it is

im getting sheds from min and im going to stop that before im bold, dont care if the hair comes back in 6 months, ill be bold for 6 months and that thought alone is depressing

feel for you bud, id like to stay hang in there, could be a positive shed from the finasteride, could be combined with a seasonal shed, or you could be reacting to the finasteride

ill leave that to the experts here, just wanted to wish you good luck

done

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply bobhairly... seems like not a lot is known about this drug, and the effect is so different for each person that you can never know what'll happen next.. but I guess i'll stay with it for now..

Here's a question that I have yet to see an answer for: if one were to quit Finasteride during the shedding phase(first 1-2 months), will he get back any of the hair he's shed? I know that you would lose any hair that's been gained, but what about the hair that's been lost because of initial shedding?

done

Reaction score
wow, i guess not then...

Just a little update. I'm still losing hair, more than ever actually. I would say more than 60% of my hair has been shed. If only I knew before I took this damn thing.. I've seen the dermatologist again and he said that I should stick with it. I really have nothing to lose so I'm going to hang on for a miracle(can't imagine gaining all the hair back though).

Kazoocs

Reaction score
I began finasteride nearly 8 months ago. I began shedding 20-30 daily and now I am up to 100-150. This type of shedding has been going on for almost 5 months so I am doubting that it good shedding. The medicine has done nothing for me besides kill my sex drive and give me a lump in my chest. For you, it should be "good" shedding. Early in treatment you will go through these cycles of shedding and it should come back.

sgtpep

Reaction score
If your losing your hair THAT quickly it's probablly a medical condition, MBP takes months even when aggressive, so either wait it out on the fina, and MAKE sure atleast some of what you shedded grows back because if you quit the finasteride nwo all you shedded will actually be lost.

done

Reaction score
Hey sgtpep, are you saying this from personal experience? I have no idea why I'm shedding so much, but I'm stopping finasteride, whatever the outcome.. I'm just hoping for the best..

cuebald

Reaction score
I shedded for about a month and a half after taking finasteride - but I only shedded at most 100 hairs instead of 10x that.
After this my shedding went to normal.

Perhaps your male pattern baldness is very aggressive and you are doomed to a NW6 - alternatively the finasteride could be working well. I'd still stick it out tbh - what have you to lose if you're destined for NW6 anyway?