Shedding After 6 Months On Finasteride

fraffra

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

so, first of all, this is my first post. I've been lurking around this forum for a while now and now I need your advice.
I'm 27 yo, caucasic (no idea whether that's relevant). I've been on minoxidil 5% for a while now, maybe 2 or 3 years ago. I wasn't very consistent at first, I think mostly because I started treatment early and I wasn't scared enough. I basically started because both sides of my family have quite bad genes in terms of hair. My dad, in particular, has been bald since his early 20s (but I read somewhere that one should rather look at his mother's side). Anyway, I became more consistent with minoxidil (1ml morning + 1 ml night) in the end of September 2015, but I started having severe skin flakes and itching, so I lowered the dose to only 1 ml at night. I still suffer from dandruff and my scalp is terribly itchy but it was even worse on the old dosage. I wash my hair eod with a cicloproxamine shampoo, which has helped a bit but the situation is still very bad (I've tried ketoconazole but the results weren't that good and cicloproxamine is much cheaper, so I switched back after a couple of weeks). But this is not what's really worrying me. I went to see a dermatologist in Nov 2015 and he gave me fina 1 mg ed, other than the shampoo I mentioned. After hesitating for a couple of months, I finally started taking fina every day on 8 January 2016. At first, it looked like things were getting better, although I think it was probably the minoxidil finally giving results, but since more or less a month ago I've started shedding like a motherf***er. Every time i shower I lose a LOT of hair and every time I run my hand through my hair I find at least 4-5 hairs. both my hairline and my vertex lost a lot of thickness. I am steadily going towards a Norwood 2. The hairs I lose don't look thin nor weak, they're just a lot. Please, shoot some of your knowledge at me! oh, btw, no sides from fina whatsoever.

Sanchez1234

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

so, first of all, this is my first post. I've been lurking around this forum for a while now and now I need your advice.
I'm 27 yo, caucasic (no idea whether that's relevant). I've been on minoxidil 5% for a while now, maybe 2 or 3 years ago. I wasn't very consistent at first, I think mostly because I started treatment early and I wasn't scared enough. I basically started because both sides of my family have quite bad genes in terms of hair. My dad, in particular, has been bald since his early 20s (but I read somewhere that one should rather look at his mother's side). Anyway, I became more consistent with minoxidil (1ml morning + 1 ml night) in the end of September 2015, but I started having severe skin flakes and itching, so I lowered the dose to only 1 ml at night. I still suffer from dandruff and my scalp is terribly itchy but it was even worse on the old dosage. I wash my hair eod with a cicloproxamine shampoo, which has helped a bit but the situation is still very bad (I've tried ketoconazole but the results weren't that good and cicloproxamine is much cheaper, so I switched back after a couple of weeks). But this is not what's really worrying me. I went to see a dermatologist in Nov 2015 and he gave me fina 1 mg ed, other than the shampoo I mentioned. After hesitating for a couple of months, I finally started taking fina every day on 8 January 2016. At first, it looked like things were getting better, although I think it was probably the minoxidil finally giving results, but since more or less a month ago I've started shedding like a motherf***er. Every time i shower I lose a LOT of hair and every time I run my hand through my hair I find at least 4-5 hairs. both my hairline and my vertex lost a lot of thickness. I am steadily going towards a Norwood 2. The hairs I lose don't look thin nor weak, they're just a lot. Please, shoot some of your knowledge at me! oh, btw, no sides from fina whatsoever.
How is situation right now?