Shedding after increasing treatment?

KeepinIt

Reaction score
Hello, all. So I've been on Finasteride 1.25 mg every 2 or 3 days and minoxidil 5% once a day for about two years now, and it's worked wonders. I started with a more rigorous regimen at the beginning, but as time went on, lessened it both for cost reasons... and, well, being lazy, really. So it's not surprising, I guess, that I've begun to lose ground. My hairline (a solid Norwood 1.5/2), which had made great strides, has started to re-thin. I immediately panicked (as we do) and went back to 2x daily minoxidil, 1x daily finasteride, and Nizoral 1% shampoo 3x weekly. This was almost a month ago.

My question is this: Is it reasonable to suspect that the increase in treatment is causing a shed? I'm noticing hairs all over the place in bed, on my computer, etc. I have already been using these products, but will increasing them: a. give better results and b. cause this secondary shed? Because I certainly hope it's just not all losing effectiveness....

Da Crow

Established Member
Reaction score
Ride it out, it might be as simple as the hair cycles re-syncing to thicker hair, or just DHT is winning the battle, but there are probably other variables.

Time will tell and Im looking forward to reading good news in the next coming months from ya

KeepinIt

Reaction score
Welp, just went in for a haircut today, and I asked the hairdresser if it looked like my hair was getting thin in the back. ....she said yes.

This essentially means I'm right back where I started two years ago. This is UNBELIEVABLY frustrating, since I had such good results my first year on the big 3, and even my dermatologist said on my one-year checkup that my crown looked totally normal.

I've been back on my rigorous regimen for 2 1/2 months, and I feel awful psychologically. I might try adding spironolactone and/or dermarolling, but if I lose any more ground in the next year, I'm done. There's nothing else for me to try and I'm just going to shave it all off. None of my relatives lost their hair in their 20s, why do I have to go through this?

EDIT: Pics
IMG_0045.jpgIMG_0065.jpg Second one's a little more wet. FML :(

Last edited:

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think you should have your scalp checked. it looks inflammed.

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
That's a perfectly normal amount of scalp showing, dude. If you can keep that, there's no one who'll think you are going bald.