Shedding after procedure

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I heard that people usually shed their newly grafted hair 2-3 weeks after the procedure. For me, I had some shock loss (i.e. of existing hairs) but did NOT see any shedding of the newly grafted hairs now 41/2 weeks after. IS THIS NORMAL ? I can run my fingers through my head and feel them all.

GeminiX

Reaction score
I think that's unusual. In most of the posts I've read about hair transplant procedures, the grafts typically shed within a month of the procedure and grew back during the following year or so.

This was certainly the case for me, with the exception of a single hair which stubbornly refused to fall out until months after the procedure. I remember the hair well, it had this wierd little bump on the shaft which looked like a golf ball in a hose pipe.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
thanks.
so it has been quite a month now (-2 or 3 days).
what are the possibilities ?
any thoughts on this please ?

you can imagine i am starting to think the procedure did not work.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dudemon, thanks for the reply.

I did the procedure with my hair LONG and the grafts were placed on the crown where it was virtually completeley bald, with at least no new growing hairs. few days after the procedure i ran my hand through my hairs and was positively surprised by the feeling of these tiny new implanted hairs. I cannot mistake them for anything else. besides they feel funny. Because unlike newborn hairs they are thick and strong. so 100% these are the implanted hairs.

Some of them did fall out, but since my crown is still full of these tiny thick hairs I know most didn't. It has been a month now. I was hoping to see if anyone has been in my situation. I hope you guys understand my frustration.
i also have VERY good grafts the doctor said, yet not enough density. so I don't want to have wasted money and scarce grafts and time.

If anyone knows anything more about this please let me know.

Thanks

thylax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would not worry. My grafts after my first and second (now) procedure haven't fallen (well about 20% of them did fall). I remember they stayed stable (non-growing), and after 2 started to grow.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thylax thanks for the reply. Please be precise :) :

thylax said:
I remember they stayed stable (non-growing), and after 2 started to grow.

after 2 what, months I guess ??

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am VERY frustrated.
It has been 2 months+ and my new grafts did not shed their hairs..
my crown is still full of these tiny hair and they haven't grown nor shown any change.

What could that be due to ? I am starting to think that these follicles are dead.. that the hairs are basically not "alive" and it is a matter of time before they shed for good and never return..
A month earlier it was already quite weird and that is what you guys said. Now 2 months after.... what to do ?

anyone with a similar experience ?

GeminiX

Reaction score
Have you asked the surgeon who performed the procedure? He should be happy for you pop into the clinic to see him if you have concerns.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well he's miles away so I can't pass by for now.
Any experiences guys ???

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
today i compared my one month pre-hair transplant to my pics now and it looks worse.. I had quite a bit of shedding and nothing good is coming out yet..

I am very annoyed by this... can anyone share a good crown hair transplant story ?

I also have another question, any of you guys, have a hair that stands out (very light) when short ? I am thinking of a buzz cut cause I look ridiculous this way except that I am afraid I will look even more ridiculous with a buzz cut. i know already that having a shaved head doesn't work for me, but just need to know.. so I am looking for experiences.. thanks.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I can't say now, it's complicated.

IS THERE ANYONE HERE WHO IS A LATER GROWER ? GREW HAIR 9+ MONTH or I AM JUST ****** and 10K down ?

GeminiX

Reaction score
Hey, I was chatting to Dr. Rogers earlier today about my last (and next) procedures and we discussed times to see results; are you seeing tiny white / grey hairs growing? If so that probably means everything is ok and just taking it's course.

Apparently it's not unheard of for people to not see results until month 10 and even beyond, and even then it can be fine vellus like hair for quite some time.

As an aside, I also have to revise my earlier comment about graft shedding. This time around I've kept *hundreds* of the hair grafts, as in, they just got planted and have kept growing (though curiously, some of them are now curly for some reason...). I asked Dr. Rogers about this today too, and apparently this is quite common too.

So all in all, it seems my second procedure experience is somewhat different to that of the first, and it sounds somewhat similar to the experience you're having now.

Have you been able to contact the surgeon who performed your procedure? Hopefully he can reassure you that everything is normal.

Danielle x