Shedding All around

BUELLMAN

Reaction score
Guys on propecia for 3 months now and shedding continues. It seems to calm down and act up again here and there. I am thinner on top for sure, but the sides have been falling out too. My left side is almost as thin as top, and when I took my finger tips and rubb the none male pattern baldness areas like 100 hairs fell out. Is anyone experiencing this?

WonderLad

Reaction score
Definitely. I have been on finasteride for approximately 3 and a half months now (began May 1st) and have seen consistent shedding since beginning. There's definitely no area of my head that is immune to this, either; I have been steadily shedding on the sides and bottom back portion of my head as well. There is fluctuation, though, with the most encouraging change being a week in late July during which I was only losing approximately 30-40 hairs a day, with only ten or so being shed during each Rogaine application. At it's worst I've lost 60-70 hairs during each application though, for the most part, the usual is hovering steadily at around 30-40. I may be imagining things, but I actually think there IS some regrowth going on somehow, as my hair in general looks somewhat thicker in key areas than before I started the treatment. I definitely wish the sheds would stop, though, as they're totally disconcerting.
I'm losing mostly long, thin hairs with white bulbs on the end, though in recent weeks I'm seeing the onset of losses consisting of a lot of short, dark hairs that look like eyelashes or shaving stubble. What are you losing? Anyone know if this distinction matters or if I should be encouraged or discouraged by hairs with the bulb?

BUELLMAN

Reaction score
shed

The hair I loose looked to have bulbs on the end all though not too visible rather small. I have more little black hairs popping up in front, cant see the back. They have black folices though not sure what that means?

antonio666

Reaction score
you said you are losing hair on the sides as well.This is a positive sign ,i would almost defintley say this is propecia induced shed and shows your responding to the drug,it usually gets worse before it gets better ,hang in there and hopefully you will reap the reward,i fully understand your concern though

RaginDemon

Reaction score
just ride it out.

wanttobehippie

Reaction score
more shedding after finasterid

I, too, experience an increase of shedding AFTER treatment with finasteride.:
I counted 600 a day. And you can watch the balding process: half a year back I could'nt see my skin through the (10 cm) hairs at the Back crown. Yes, the shedding seems to be all over the head. And it is from 1cm to oldest hair, mostly with these white bulbs. What does that mean? Hair doctor seems to be conventional, like all the blind people, doesn't see anything, but I see the process and find hair all over the place and in my food. blood okay, analyses in two days.
I wanted to stop the balding at the fronthead, and now....... i fear general balding. I wonder how the finasterid will ever work up to the speed of the hairLOSS. With Pantostin I had a reduction of shedding, but together with f no positive effect of P can be realised anymore.
I wonder how long I should "ride it out": Until its too late???
Nevertheless I try to be hopeful. At the middle of the forehead could be "the rest", but also newly grown hair, light.
I have to mention that I'm a ftm trans. female hair is supposed to be reacting to hormon change, I don't know how long it takes to accomodate. A big problem is that due to DHT-stop my voice seems to get higher instead of deeper, and no further klit growth. I should have waited til after puberty.
Everybody here: Be glad that you at least have your c***...!!!!
Yours, the not-anymore-hippie. :freaked:

antonio666

Reaction score
Re: more shedding after finasterid

wanttobehippie said:
I, too, experience an increase of shedding AFTER treatment with finasteride.:
I counted 600 a day. And you can watch the balding process: half a year back I could'nt see my skin through the (10 cm) hairs at the Back crown. Yes, the shedding seems to be all over the head. And it is from 1cm to oldest hair, mostly with these white bulbs. What does that mean? Hair doctor seems to be conventional, like all the blind people, doesn't see anything, but I see the process and find hair all over the place and in my food. blood okay, analyses in two days.
I wanted to stop the balding at the fronthead, and now....... i fear general balding. I wonder how the finasterid will ever work up to the speed of the hairLOSS. With Pantostin I had a reduction of shedding, but together with f no positive effect of P can be realised anymore.
I wonder how long I should "ride it out": Until its too late???
Nevertheless I try to be hopeful. At the middle of the forehead could be "the rest", but also newly grown hair, light.
I have to mention that I'm a ftm trans. female hair is supposed to be reacting to hormon change, I don't know how long it takes to accomodate. A big problem is that due to DHT-stop my voice seems to get higher instead of deeper, and no further klit growth. I should have waited til after puberty.
Everybody here: Be glad that you at least have your c***...!!!!
Yours, the not-anymore-hippie. :freaked:

600 hairs a day that has got to be something more than male pattern baldness you could not continue to lose at that rate for only a few weeks and you would be bald,i wish you luck with your hair and your sex change

wanttobehippie

Reaction score
no vitamin/mineral extras !?!!

thank you, Antonio!
I read about one Greg in the photogallery, that he had more shedding while he was taking extra vitamins. So I wont give up as long as I can find out more information - I stopped taking extra vit/minerals. I read also that too much magnesium (anti-stress) blocks calcium. The lost hair doesnt look so healthy. (Worrying is the shed of new looking short hair.)
I hope it is not only wishful thinking: Today it didnt look like the 300-bunches!!! :)