Shedding Cycle

airic101

Reaction score
Hey I've been on minoxidil for 5 months, since end of august. at the End of November I happened to notice a few hairs in my hands while showering that i never noticed before. I've been worried ever since as i notice it daily now. its been about 2 months.
anyone have any idea how long a shedding cycle lasts? and/or is it normal to notice strands of hairs in ur fingers while showering? any help is greatly appreciated as its starting to scare me as it doesn't seem to be stopping. (Its not getting worse either btw)

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I typically only notice my shedding at night. When I apply minoxidil to a damp scalp in the morning and comb it I get maybe 5 hairs in the comb. When I do it at night I get about 20. I am kind of wondering why this is.

I haven't noticed a lot in the shower.

airic101

Reaction score
hey thanks for the post. i prob notice about that much maybe a bit more in the morning shower and then again in the evening in the shower. but when i apply my minoxidil i notice a couple hairs, thats it....
do you have short or long hair? i'm wondering if when i had short hair it was absorbed by my scalp better. now that i have longer hair, i'm wondering if its not getting deep into the scalp. if u have longer hair (longer than a buzz cut) how do u apply ur minoxidil? thanks for ur help!

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well it's definitely longer than a buzz cut, it's about 2 and a half inches long but I'm growing it out to my shoulders again. Whatever the big 3 doesn't grow in in the front I'll cover with toppik I suppose haha. I generally dampen my hair and sort of spike it up with the water and then I get a bunch of minoxidil and put it all through the top of my head and on the crown. I go through a bottle in about 2 weeks though because I'm always afraid I didn't put enough and then I'll apply some more. In the morning I towel dry my hair a little bit after the shower and then apply it. I'm pretty new to it all so I hope I am doing it right as well.