Shedding from minoxidil

seeves

Reaction score
I have been applying minoxidil for nearly 6 months (since oct 06) and it seems that i am starting to thin very badly in only the places i apply it. I am hoping it is associated with the shed i am going through and will come back thicker in the next few months. I took pictures in january and again in march, and the ones in march look much much worse than januarys. There is no way i could have naturaly thinned up this much in that short of time so i am hoping this is purely a shed that i will recover from. Has anyone else had a similar experience with minoxidil at any point in their treatment?

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've been on the foam for 2 months, it's been none stop shedding for over a month now but I can see lots of small hairs growing on my temples and hairline so I'm hanging in there, can you see any regrowth?

justin

Established Member
Reaction score
i'm having the same problem, about 4 or 5 months in. i'm kind of freaking out, to be honest. there's no way my hair could've gotten like this naturally, it looks very unusual. it's basically left me with tiny hairs about an inch or two into my hairline. looks nuts, like someone just took a buzzer to certain parts of the front of my hair. the hair where i don't apply minoxidil has stayed the same. i'm kind of at a loss right now, and feel like i should've never started treatment, as my hair was not bad at all and i really only had prevention and mantainence in mind.

justin

Established Member
Reaction score
does anyone know a way to figure if minoxidil is having an adverse reaction to your scalp? it would have to irritate it, correct?

justin

Established Member
Reaction score
just the temples and the whole frontal "tuft." i'm a norwood 2 at worst, so the front part is fairly wide, y'know? when i started treatment, my hairline hadn't necessarily changed, but the corners of the temples hadn't grown out in like a year and i started to notice the edges getting shorter and thinner so i started to get that long forelock thing going on. the forelock area looked like it was getting a bit thinner to me, too, so i figured it couldn't hurt to apply some there and potentially thicken it up.
i do think that my hairline is improving slightly, but the hair there is basically useless. which is fine, just not behind it where it counts. i'm willing to accept that some temporary changes in my regimen could have brought me a step back.. i just didn't think i was evens at that stage yet. perhaps it was mistake to change things while i was on the right track but my hair hadn't gotten back to where it was yet.

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Tough out the shed. I had a small shed for a few weeks, and my hair has bounced back.

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
justin said:
just the temples and the whole frontal "tuft." i'm a norwood 2 at worst, so the front part is fairly wide, y'know? when i started treatment, my hairline hadn't necessarily changed, but the corners of the temples hadn't grown out in like a year and i started to notice the edges getting shorter and thinner so i started to get that long forelock thing going on. the forelock area looked like it was getting a bit thinner to me, too, so i figured it couldn't hurt to apply some there and potentially thicken it up.
i do think that my hairline is improving slightly, but the hair there is basically useless. which is fine, just not behind it where it counts. i'm willing to accept that some temporary changes in my regimen could have brought me a step back.. i just didn't think i was evens at that stage yet. perhaps it was mistake to change things while i was on the right track but my hair hadn't gotten back to where it was yet.

Same place as me, there was a guy on here recently (can't remember his name..) who'd had great results maintaining and regrowing in this area but it took 14 months for maximum effect, he said it got pretty bad at times but had eventually come through for him, the pics looked good, just dig your heels in and give it a few more months, I look forward to hearing how it goes.

seeves

Reaction score
I see little vellus hairs along my hairline if i look at it the right angle in the light but i am not sure if its from the minoxidil or if they were already there. If those hairs did happen to thicken up and become terminal hairs then i would be in real good shape. I am hoping this thinning is a good sign of things to come since that would mean the minoxidil is doing something and getting ready to fill in. I think we should all just ride out the shed and give it a few more months before making any rash decisions like stopping a treatment before it really has a chance to improve things.

lain

Established Member
Reaction score
Im in similar situation, seems that minoxidil is thinning out my hairline. But I am also seeing positive results with thin hairs growing in previously bald spots.

I think we are expecting too much too soon (sure some people get quick results). I have given myself at least a year to see how it all goes.

seeves

Reaction score
I also feel that minoxidil kinda lightens your hair making it seem alot worse then it really is. In reality there is probably more hairs than you think. I am just gonna give it time since im doing everything i can.

tt1103

Reaction score
Ive been on rogaine and finasteride since Oct 06 started with liquid 1/day then went to foam 2/day starting around Dec. I saw great improvement in Jan and Feb....thought I was going in the right direction then end of Feb till now Ive been shedding like crazy. I hate even touching my head becuase it seems like 30 or 40 hairs fall out in the blink of an eye. If it continues I cant imagine have much hair left on top for much longer. Im gonna ride it out and pray it comes back. I too believe its due to minoxidil but now that its started not gonna do much good to stop