Shedding Help - newbie "natually not a lot of body hair too"

gwuc4

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I really need some advise, if you can and don't mind. I have a propecia prescription/pills sitting on my table but haven't started using it due to everything I'm learning about shedding. My situation may also be unique. I'm in my early 20s and am going through job interviews (first post undergrad college job obviously :woot: ). Sorry if I provide a lot of info (I'm trying to provide as much relevant info as I can), but I've tried to simplify it. And all feedback is truly appreciated!

Some hair info - high temples (Daniel Craig). I'm in the "early stages of thinning but my hairline is fairly good" - quoting the dermatologist I saw (He said no shedding would occur which has me doubting the Doctor now).

Heredity wise - I have hair issues on my mom's side of the family - but the doctor did say, and I quote, "take propecia and you'll be fine...it won't sprout hair but it will keep everything you have." So I don't know.

Body hair - Chest & Arm - I don't have a lot of body hair for whatever reason. I can't come close to a full beard WHATSOEVER and have very fine arm and chest hair. I'm experiencing chest hair shedding ...so am I going through a high shedding period? And therefore should I put using propecia off for a bit?

My CONCERN - if I do shed (which shows that the pills are working and therefore is working) what are the chances that it will be noticeable (or VERY noticeable for that matter)? I'm worried and may have supplied needless info but that wasn't my intention, really. Help please!!!

Reaction score
There's no way of telling beforehand. Some people don't shed, some shed a little, and some shed so much to become noticeably balding.

gwuc4

Reaction score
But the info I provided doesn't give any sort of clue, if that's the right word? I wish i could get some sort of idea. Any thoughts?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I wish your doctor was right when he told you Propecia will keep what you have. I had way more hair without Propecia and now 3 years later I have receded more and my overall hair density got worse. It never helped me keep what I had and that is the only reason I took it. I think Propecia may slow down balding but it is not going to stop it totally.

Fundi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
DoctorHouse said:
I wish your doctor was right when he told you Propecia will keep what you have. I had way more hair without Propecia and now 3 years later I have receded more and my overall hair density got worse. It never helped me keep what I had and that is the only reason I took it. I think Propecia may slow down balding but it is not going to stop it totally.

I think Propecia is least effective at the hairline, but in most effective enough to dramatically slow balding. I guess you were either one of the unlucky ones who it didn't work for, or it worked in terms of slowing it down and you'd have been a lot worse off without finasteride?