Shedding is GOOD

Orion

Reaction score
Right? This has got to be the major deterrent for me for not having went on any treatment yet...

If it's good, and everyone experiences healthier, thicker hairs after the shed, why do so many people panic about it? Do some people not get the healthy hairs growing after a shed?

I don't get it... seems seems like we're all paranoid here?

Finnjävel

Established Member
Reaction score
deadlocks said:
Finnjävel what's your regime like? Made any changes recently?

5mg finasteride 1/4 daily, rogaine foam/liquid 2x day, nizoral 2-3 times a week and I've followed this regimen religiously for the past 20 months.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Finnjävel said:
deadlocks said:
Finnjävel what's your regime like? Made any changes recently?

5mg finasteride 1/4 daily, rogaine foam/liquid 2x day, nizoral 2-3 times a week and I've followed this regimen religiously for the past 20 months.

That's weird.

I'm also shedding since half November I think. By now, that's past the 100 days telogen phase. Or maybe I experience both a shedding, and a Telogen Effluvium? My regime hasn't had any 'real' changes in the last 6, 7 months or so. I suspect my switch from finasteride to dutasteride 7 months ago could be the problem?

Finnjävel

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, weird indeed. I've kept my hair short since last fall. I've noticed that my sides are nearly as thin as the top. I'm thinking maybe I have Telogen Effluvium and my male pattern baldness is somehow keeping it from regrowing. Also I just read that for some persons, the telogen phase may be as long as 6 months.
I'll just stick to my meds and keep my fingers crossed. That's all I can do.

You're just probably going through a "good" shed from dutasteride. Too bad my dermatologist refused to prescribe me that. :(

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, Dutasteride has a lot of horror stories on the internet, especially around the hairline where the shed has affected me the most. I've got a lot of small, short (yet thick) hairs sprouting in places which where completely slick before around the hairline, yet the excisting long hairs look thinner than before, and less in amount.

This sucks, cause I have real long hair. Been growing it out for 2 years now and I don't want to cut it. Besides, it's really confusing sometimes. Sometimes I look like a NW1.5 almost, other days a bad NW3 (which I am / was before treatments) so even though I might be regrowing it still hasn't solved my hair problems yet. :(

So all I'm hoping is that the long hairs grow back, and that it was all lost because of a temporary shed. That way I can at least wear my hair decently untill the small hairs grow out. I hope this is not just wishful thinking...

Traveler01

Reaction score
Finnjävel, I'm also curious about your regimen; what was the course of your results like?

I'm doing something similar, Rogaine Foam, Nizoral, and 360mg saw palmetto extract without the propecia. I've had pretty good results at ~6 months, though I had an agonizing degree of shedding up to month 4.

So far it still seems on the upswing: more small dark hairs are advancing the hairline, which is more than I really ever expected and highly encouraging. If there are likely to be setbacks in the future, it would be good to know. :)

Finnjävel

Established Member
Reaction score
I was very thin when I started. At around month 8 I began to notice huge improvement which peaked at around month 11, and it was really amazing. Right after that the shedding began and it went on for two or three months. I basically shed myself back to baseline, and that's where I'm still at at month 20 now... Can't really see any wispy hairs anymore only terminals mostly. No changes in regimen. It should've come back by now. I'm sure now that it's not Telogen Effluvium, it's just my male pattern baldness that took a surprise victory. I don't know what happened. But at least I'm maintaining what I had. For now.

Reaction score
Finnjävel said:
That's just your sebum. Use Nizoral.

I do use nizoral every 2nd or 3rd day and still have the problem, my scalp is very oily.

Do you think that this sebum can be restricting oxygen and nutrients to the hair follicle resulting in faster thinning??

Finnjävel

Established Member
Reaction score
howwedoinladies said:
Finnjävel said:
That's just your sebum. Use Nizoral.

I do use nizoral every 2nd or 3rd day and still have the problem, my scalp is very oily.

Do you think that this sebum can be restricting oxygen and nutrients to the hair follicle resulting in faster thinning??

Nutrition and oxygen to the follicles come from the inside. Still, a healthy scalp is a required environment for best results. If you use liquid minoxidil, switch to foam.

Reaction score
Finnjävel said:
howwedoinladies said:
[quote="Finnjävel":2txw82xe]That's just your sebum. Use Nizoral.

Nutrition and oxygen to the follicles come from the inside. Still, a healthy scalp is a required environment for best results. If you use liquid minoxidil, switch to foam.[/quote:2txw82xe]

Okay thanks for the answers man youve been alot of help, but I have one last question for you....

I have my gf coming to visit me and im about to switch to dutasteride but am wondering about when I should because I am scared I will get a shed right when she comes which would suck. About how long into a switch to dutasteride would i start to have the shed? shes coming in 2 weeks btw