Shedding/Itchy is this normal

thinning_esteem

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok been on minoxidil for 1 1/2 months twice daily.
I appear to be shedding in the front. At least I hope. I apply it religiously to the mid hairline, and just today I noticed a bald patch about 2 cm long where the hair has fallen out. Will it come back.
Also me head is quite itchy. I try to avoid scratching it but when I do I am scratching hairs out.
Is this a normal reaction to minoxidil?

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
thinning_esteem said:
Ok been on minoxidil for 1 1/2 months twice daily.
I appear to be shedding in the front. At least I hope. I apply it religiously to the mid hairline, and just today I noticed a bald patch about 2 cm long where the hair has fallen out. Will it come back.
Also me head is quite itchy. I try to avoid scratching it but when I do I am scratching hairs out.
Is this a normal reaction to minoxidil?

/sarcasm You are experiencing a shed on minoxidil? Wow, this is so rare, nobody has ever had a shed from minoxidil before. This is totally unheard of. Wouldn't it be weird if one day so many people reported sheds on minoxidil that a hairloss website created a section called "Shedding Shedding Shedding" were people could discuss this common occurance?

In all seriousness, you are just experiencing a shed that many many many others do. Of course the hair grows back. Why would so many people stick to minoxidil if the sheds were permanent?

lain

Established Member
Reaction score
Yah I been on minoxidil for 9 weeks and it has thinned out half my hairline (which is where I apply it). Seems that everyday I wake up and look in the mirror the hairline is more diffuse than before.

I will post some pics on the weekend in my "my story" thread. Hopefuly the camera picks up what I can see. I dont think that people post enough of before & after shed pics so that we can guage what to expect from a shed.

Anyway a shed could last up to 3 months... so heres hoping that I only have under 3 weeks left of shedding. From what I understand regrowth from a shed hair can take up to 100 days to be visible again.

A positive note though is that I have new hair growing in previously bald spots.

I strongly suggest that you re-read the sticky thread in this section as it has helped me to find assurance that things are going to plan and will get better.

thinning_esteem

Established Member
Reaction score
I read the sticky on shedding...it's just the itchiness that I'm finding so hard to deal with. I was just hoping it wasn't a bad reaction of any sort.
Remember it's the 2% not the 5%.
It's really hard not to scratch at it, and when I do I see little blonde baby hairs on my finger tips.
nizoral doesn't seem to help for more than a few hours. Would it be safe to use it daily until the itching stops?

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
thinning_esteem said:
I read the sticky on shedding...it's just the itchiness that I'm finding so hard to deal with. I was just hoping it wasn't a bad reaction of any sort.
Remember it's the 2% not the 5%.
It's really hard not to scratch at it, and when I do I see little blonde baby hairs on my finger tips.
nizoral doesn't seem to help for more than a few hours. Would it be safe to use it daily until the itching stops?

If you arent taking 1 mg of finastride daily, then you itching could be the DHT, not the minoxidil.

Before I got on any treatments, the areas in which my hair was falling out was very itch and flakey and greasy.

Once I got on finastride, the oily skin and scalp, the constant itching that felt itchy just under the scalp, and the flakes of crusty grains of skin stopped 100%. It was a freakin miracle.

If you are just on minoxidil, then DHT is still bombarding your scalp.

Far Too Young

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, two weeks on finasteride, and the itchy/inflamed scalp has more or less dissipated. Inflammation as a factor in male pattern baldness is rather downplayed on this site, I feel. It's more of an indicator of scalp condition that how much you're shedding (that is, shedding is a reflection of your scalp condition 2-3 months ago, inflammation mirrors fairly recent irritation). People on here don't support Tom Hagerty's Scalp Exercises, but I do them daily. I swear that as soon as I feel that little pain about my vertex and do a good 15 minute "scalp workout" it works miracles. Scalp Exercises alone probably won't fix your inflammation problem, but they're a nice addition to Nizoral and finasteride.

Also, the foam helps quite a bit. (Though it seems to be causing a little breakage.)

So

Established Member
Reaction score
Fish and Borage Oil are good for inflammation. They work for me.