Shedding massively decreased/changed when I stopped Minoxidil

AonyxDO262

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm 25 had been using minoxidil liquid for about a year and a half without any appreciable results and plenty of shedding, and about a month ago I got started on 1mg of generic finasteride(legit from CVS). I noticed that my hair shedding didn't change at all and possibly increased mostly after I would put in the minoxidil. One pass of my hair brush would yield 30-40 hairs of all different sizes. I thought I might possibly have a minoxidil or PG allergy of some sort, so I decided to experiment by just stopping the minoxidil. Within a day or so my shedding decreased dramatically. I still shed a few hairs when I pass my hand over my head, but they're different. They're usually full size hairs with a little white bulb at the end. I haven't noticed too many of the miniaturized, translucent hairs, but my scalp is pretty flaky which I NEVER had before starting minoxidil and was pretty common for me throughout my minoxidil use.

I guess I'm just confused as to the significance of shedding full size hair vs. miniaturized hairs. Does anyone have experience with shedding large hairs with somewhat large, white, "bulbs" attached? Its almost like what you'd get if you violently ripped one out, haha.

Thanks!

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
you made a mistake by stopping minoxidil and you will lose all those hairs minoxidil was helping you maintain. When a hair sheds with a white bulb it went through a complete life cycle and is likely miniaturizing

Vlatch

Established Member
Reaction score
Do some research about hair cycles. Hair loss cannot get better after a few days of starting or stopping a treatment, this is nonsense.

Vlatch

Established Member
Reaction score
Very insightful, thanks
I suppose this is sarcasm.

A normal cycle lasts three to four years and is composed of three phases : anagen (growth), catagen (transition), telogen (rest).

Telogen phase lasts approximately 3 months, that's why you can't see a decrease in shedding after less than a month, a few days is just ridiculous, it's all in your head (if it doesn't fall when you style your hair, it falls in the shower or anywhere else).

You'll see the results of what you did in several months, most likely a huge shed because you stopped minoxidil (it depends on how much minoxidil was helping your hair basically), let's hope it doesn't happen, good luck !