Shedding on propecia N00b

glaxo

Reaction score
So I currently have fairly thick hair maybe a fivehead but one wouldn't be able to tell that I've been shedding fairly heavily for the past 6 years. I want to start propecia but I don't want to make my hair look worse for the next year. I'm coming on a sensitive period med school wise and want to maintain this for that time.
So I guess my question is, is it likely I look noticeably different, even for a short time, with a typical shed?
How long have these shed changes lasted for you guys when you were just starting?
Should I just man up and start before it gets too late?

ryan r

Established Member
Reaction score
Man up. Theres not much more to it, no one can say what will happen. But most likely it will do your hair good.

hbdale309

Reaction score
Use Nizoral and minoxidil b/c that shed period is short. This combo has kept my hair from falling out anymore and has grown back plenty. I've heard that finasteride can shed for a year, but you could get lucky and have a shorter finasteride shed.

To be safe, I'd use the nizoral and minoxidil, then when your sensitive period is over and you can afford a possibly longer shed - then add the finasteride.

Or just roll the dice; who knows you may not shed at all w/ finasteride.

glaxo

Reaction score
hbdale309 said:
Use Nizoral and minoxidil b/c that shed period is short. This combo has kept my hair from falling out anymore and has grown back plenty. I've heard that finasteride can shed for a year, but you could get lucky and have a shorter finasteride shed.

To be safe, I'd use the nizoral and minoxidil, then when your sensitive period is over and you can afford a possibly longer shed - then add the finasteride.

Or just roll the dice; who knows you may not shed at all w/ finasteride.

appreciate the advice guys that sounds like a more palatable alternative. do you use 1 or 2%? truth be told i was about to just jump the gun and go get the propecia, had the scrip and everything. we're doing our endocrinology series now and the hormonal interweavings just kinda scare me. then i find this site and see all the shedding anecdotes...and yeah i'm a pussy. thanks again.

hbdale309

Reaction score
I use the one percent Nizoral, but go ahead and get the 2 percent if you can. The one percent is just a more convenient choice for me(in the U.S.) plus it's less expensive. I bought the large bottle (7oz) for about 16$ at Walgreens.

I took the advice of the below link and use it every other day, leaving on for 5 minutes; followed by a Tea Tree conditioner. I also wash my hair before the nizoral with a tea tree shampoo(cleans the scalp). This Tea Tree product is supposed to help with the drying of the scalp and hair that the nizoral and minoxidil can cause.

From: http://www.dermadoctor.com/article_Nizo ... s_198.html

Typically, the 2% concentration is recommended to be used three times per week, 5 minutes per application. However, in the United States the 2% concentration is available only by prescription. The 2% is available over-the-counter in Canada.

The 1% concentration found in stores under the label “Nizoral ADâ€￾ is a good substitute for the 2% if obtaining a prescription is not a viable option. Just remember to make sure you are diligent in applying the nizoral shampoo for at least 5 minutes per application to ensure maximum potency. You may also consider bumping up the frequency of use to four times per week to offset the difference in concentrations. That should be the maximum, however, as any more frequent application may just be a waste of time.

I'll probably be adding the finasteride at some point too; I'm like you and am not ready for a big, possibly long term shed. I'm enjoying my results right now w/ just the nizoral and minoxidil. Good luck!