SHEDDING on Treatment(a few posts down, anyone help PLEASE?)

Reaction score
Hello,

Is there ANYBODY that has experienced the same thing I have? My original post is a few posts down from this one.

I'm 2 1/3 months into treatment on generic finasteride, and all I've been doing is shedding more hair. It seems like my hair loss has gotten a lot worse. It continued to shed today. Has anyone ever experienced this or know anything about this? Is this normal? Should I continue with the finasteride? Or go back to normal. It's worrying me quite a bit -- the balding/thinning area on the top of my crown has gotten worse since I've begun.

Is this typical? Should I stick with the treatment? Has anyone ever heard of a shed when beginning? It's really bothering me. I haven't heard anything back. Thanks.

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score
Stick with it. I was shedding as well but now my hair is better abt 4 months into finasteride and 5 weeks into minoxidil

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! My shed has gotten annoyingly bad over the past week or two. I had a little bit of a shed about a month into treatment, and then it stopped for a few weeks...and then all of a sudden my hair just started pouring off my head (compared to what I was used to losing) at about the two month point a couple weeks ago, and hasn't stopped.

Reaction score
50-150'ish...I would guess. Whereas before treatment...50-150 was a LOT, but that's pretty standard right now over the past few weeks. I do understand someone can shed 100 hairs or so in a day "normally."

However, if before treatment I was shedding 100-150 hairs a day (which I may be doing now), that would have been a lot.

I'm 29, and have been using Rogaine for the past 3-4 years. I think it has helped to slow the loss on my crown...but it was continuing to thin at a very, very "painfully" slow rate. haha. So I took the "plunge" to add finasteride.

The thinning in the crown of my head has been fairly slight (about the size of my palm...maybe a little less). There are not any smooth/completely bald areas. But don't get me wrong, it's noticeable (you can see it fairly well, especially in good light).

I wanted to start early treatment, because I understand that's how you can achieve the best results. I just don't want it to get rapidly worse here all of a sudden (as my crown seems to have a little bit, and I can even see a little bit more of my scalp in the anterior/middle portion of the front of my head...a little bit behind my hairline). It just kind of looks generally thinner all around, but especially in those places.

Thanks for the input!! I really appreciate it.