Shedding regrowth - Need your attention

Scotty

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm 18 years old and I started on Propecia 5 months ago. I regret starting on Propecia, since my shedding I have gained a perspective on how good my scalp actually was before Propecia.

Anyway, I went through a CRAZY shedding phase from month 1-4 and it kind of stopped, but I always lose hair if I run my hand through my hair or comb it. I'm just wondering if the areas affected by my shed will most likely grow back, the hair is just thin and I am literally approaching a mental breakdown. losing your hair at 18 is a horrible experience and I cna hardly find anything joyful anymore...

This is roughly how it looks like:

Should I stop Propecia and grow back my old scalp? or will the shedded hair grow back???

Please, your advice is very important to me.

Scott

king-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Scotty said:
Hi,
I'm 18 years old and I started on Propecia 5 months ago. I regret starting on Propecia, since my shedding I have gained a perspective on how good my scalp actually was before Propecia.

Anyway, I went through a CRAZY shedding phase from month 1-4 and it kind of stopped, but I always lose hair if I run my hand through my hair or comb it. I'm just wondering if the areas affected by my shed will most likely grow back, the hair is just thin and I am literally approaching a mental breakdown. losing your hair at 18 is a horrible experience and I cna hardly find anything joyful anymore...

This is roughly how it looks like:

Should I stop Propecia and grow back my old scalp? or will the shedded hair grow back???

Please, your advice is very important to me.

Scott

how was your hairloss before propecia , how fast was the hairloss , rapid.? slow?

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Give it a couple of more months. Chances are the shedding is preparing your hair for even better regrowth. If you are certain your hair is thinner and getting worse then come off it.

All hair that sheds grows back it just has to rest for a while before a new hair can take its place. Hair also goes thin before it sheds as circulation is cut off fom the hair, preventing nutients getting to it to help it grow. This is probably what is happening to you.

Tell me dose your hair feel less dense or has it shrunk?

Scotty

Reaction score
My hair was actually fine before propecia, my brother started and I got all excited I would grow back my receding hairlines. I guess the hairloss was pretty slow, but I've always had little hair on my sides.

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Deathcab said:
So I take it that 2% nizoral shed will grow back stronger?

I'm a little skeptical with nizoral. It is supposively a weak dht blocker that can help stop hairloss. Besides this it kills all the germs and microbes that can infect your scalp and also contribute to hairloss. The problem i have with nizoral is its methods used to do this. When i apply it to my scalp and wash it out after ten minutes it burns my scalp slightly and fries my hair. My guess is that it defeats some of the underlying causes of hairloss but also causes it making it counter productive in some way. I'm not going to say nizoral is bad because its worked for some people on this forum (usually combined with something). However it is my belief that its really down to how sensitive your scalp and hair are to nizoral and how aggressive your hairloss is. No one simply knows whether this nizoral shedding is a good thing. I can tell you this unless tou are suffering from Telogen Effluvium, alopecia or some sort of scalp trauma. All hair that sheds grows back even male pattern baldness hair (only its much smaller and weaker). My hair grew back thicker, but it might have been due to the finestride.

Deathcab

Reaction score
Thats true about the Nizoral tending to be harsh. I felt a burn when I first used it, but after 2 weeks of use I felt no burn and was not harsh on my hair. I use Nizoral 2% every 3rd day and only leave it in for 5min. Leaving it in for 10min. may be a bit too long. On all the other days I am trying out the Nioxin Shampoo hair system. Just shedding for right now. Not much change though.

DeathCab

Draco88

Established Member
Reaction score
I started using Nizoral 2% since yesterday and i don't know if i didn't squeeze out enough, but i left it in my hair for 4 minutes and i didn't feel any burning sensation, nothing at all actually. And my hair doesn't feel any more different than before using Nizoral.

I'm planning on starting the 'Big 3' treatment yet i'm greatly worried about this shedding period and i'm not so sure whether i should use all 3 treatments, or just 2 (either finasteride or minoxidil).

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Draco88 said:
I started using Nizoral 2% since yesterday and i don't know if i didn't squeeze out enough, but i left it in my hair for 4 minutes and i didn't feel any burning sensation, nothing at all actually. And my hair doesn't feel any more different than before using Nizoral.

Try squirting two table spoons into your palm and try and lather it all over your head. Then leave it on your hair for say 7- 10 mins but no longer. That should be enough.

Draco88 said:
I'm planning on starting the 'Big 3' treatment yet i'm greatly worried about this shedding period and i'm not so sure whether i should use all 3 treatments, or just 2 (either finasteride or minoxidil).

Nizoral will only make a small difference compared to minoxidil and propecia. Nether the less its probably a great asset to have if your scalp aint too sensitive to it. The burning sensation might not always be a good thing. If you get it you will start shedding soon after. For me it was the same day. Dont know if this is good but my scalp felt refreshed afterwoods.

Draco88

Established Member
Reaction score
follicle84 said:
Try squirting two table spoons into your palm and try and lather it all over your head. Then leave it on your hair for say 7- 10 mins but no longer. That should be enough.
That's quite a lot actually...on the bottle it says a small amount, and i squeezed around a pinkey size. I'll try a bit more next time then.

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sorry i meant to say two small tea spoons full, but with whatever works in getting scalp coverage is good. Just dont leave it on too long.