Shedding Scabs?

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
This is day six post-op for me. Today I noticed I had begun shedding some scabs. Not many, but some. My question is this, is it normal to lose the grafted hair with the scab? I would say maybe a third or half of the scabs that have been shed have had the hair with them. I hope this doesn't mean I am losing the grafts!

The doctors post-op literature said it was normal for most of the scabs to be gone by days 8-10.

bighurt

Reaction score
yeah, that's totally normal. at least 1/2 of my scabs came off with the hairs attached. the grafts that remain (w/o scabs) will remain for the next 1-3 weeks and then by about 1 month, you probably will have shed all your new grafts....

and then, the dreaded doldrums which i can tell you from 1st hand experience take FOREVER! at day 71 right now and wishing i was at the 6-month mark more than i can tell you.

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank goodness! I was afraid that this early post-op that losing those hairs might mean I would lose the grafts.

bighurt

Reaction score
i was freaking out about that too. from what i gather, it's pretty hard to lose the grafts after the first 4 days or so. they are pretty well anchored in at that point and assuming that you're not rubbing the recipient area, scratching, etc. you'll be fine.

actually, this site helped allay a lot of my fears...

http://www.baldingblog.com/2005/12/30/w ... r-surgery/

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I just looked at a lot of those posts from that site. My scabs are just now beginning to shed ANY. I have been washing since day one and actually twice daily since day two, but I think I have actually been too gentle. I have only gently patted the scalp and have used no pressure. I have been sleeping with the medical cap my doctor provided me, which I still want to do just to keep the bed and pillow clean! I am going to start letting my scalp soak before rinsing and start gently making circles with my finger tips when massaging the shampoo in.

Thanks for the help!

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
Today, I let my scalp soak for a few minutes then gently made circles when applying the shampoo. I still rinsed using water from a cup. However, I did notice many more scabs shedding. Also, I can see where they are separating from the scalp and progressing up the shafts of the hairs.

I understand now that by just pouring some shampoo on my scalp and patting it, these scabs were not going to go away.

Now, if I could just get the sutures to dissolve......

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
Today is number seven post-op. More shedding continuing. Some with hairs, some not. I really hope those grafts weren't shot!