Shedding tapered hairs?

Sneaks12

Reaction score
Hello all. I've been on Proscar for about 7 months now and up until recently haven't really had anything to report, pretty much losing hair at about the same rate that I was before I started taking it. One thing I did notice, however, is that many of the hairs I've been shedding are tapered, with the tip of the hair being much thicker than it is at the root. I don't even know if this is a recent thing or not, as I've been paying more attention since going on finasteride, but it's something that I've noticed in about 80% of the hairs I've shed.

I searched online and came across the suggestion that this is simply hair entering the telogen phase, and as the hair begins to be starved of nutrients, the hair becomes weaker, less pigmented, and then eventually falls out. Seems to make sense, so I just put it to the back of my mind and patiently waited for something else to happen.

Anyway, fast forward a couple of months and in a very short space of time my hair has thinned dramatically all over my scalp, including on the crown area, where it was previously really thick. Now this might just be the famous shedding phase kicking in, albeit a bit later than most people get it, so I've tried not to worry about it.

This time, though, many of the hairs that I'm shedding are tapered at the other end - i.e. thinner at the tip, which indicates that these are new hairs - and are usually only an inch or two long. This means that the hairs are growing in very short cycles, something I thought finasteride would prevent. Sometimes the hairs are thinner at both ends, with a small section in the middle of the hair the thickness it should actually be.

Is this typical or should this be cause for concern?

Like I said, I've tried not to think about it too much, but I'm starting to panic a little bit now.

Sorry for the long-ish post. Would love some reassurance, if there's anyone out there that can help!

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been shedding in cycles ever since I've been on finasteride- 14 months now. some months i hardly shed any hair, and some months it literally flew off. overall i think Im maintaining what i had. i wouldn't analyse each strand too much, hair loss becomes enough of an obsession. better to just ride it all out and see how it turns out at the two year mark- that's what Im doing anyway.