Shedding with Hope

samabrott

Reaction score
I was loosing a good amount of hair a week or two before I started 1mg Generic Finasteride, and the amount of shedding stayed constant for a week, and as two to three more weeks went by, the shedding has proliferated to a point, where I can make my sink covered in hair follicles at any given time, but to be fair I only try that once in the morning and once before bed.

I have been on Finasteride for nearly a month now, and my point is, at this stage, I can only hope for the best. I don't know if the medicine is working, or if my shedding prior to the medicine has just proliferated. However, I have hope, that soon enough, I will see a stop to this shed, and regrowth in my hair.

I want you guys to be optimistic as well; seeing anyone else feel doubtful will only reinsure my doubt.

Mehrdad

Reaction score
Finasteride needs at least 6 months of treatment, So don't give up and stick to your treatment.
Also as a recommendation add Ketoconazole %2 Shampoo (Nizoral, etc) to your regimen (3-times/week or daily), this would help your follicles fight the inflammation and get the nutrition they need.

vegetablelasagna_

Reaction score
It's good to stay positive, but to be honest 1 month is nothing. Many users experience shedding anywhere from 3 to 12 months before their follicles are repaired and shedding is stabilized. Users who experience no shedding or shedding periods less than 3 months are rare, in my opinion. Expect hair density to continue to decrease during this period. Be patient to the 6 month mark to begin to see any regrowth. Some users claim full regrowth didn't kick in until the 12-18 month mark.

The point is, you should have a reasonable idea of what to expect before starting finasteride. Many users panic and jump on finasteride after experiencing a bout of shedding and paranoia of going bald, but underestimate the time, patience and determination it takes for this treatment to work. Therefore they are not prepared for the shedding period, become discouraged with decreasing density, and stop treatment before the positive benefits can be attained.

Finasteride works, but it is far from a magic bullet. So really be sure finasteride is the way you want to go, and that you are committed to enduring the shedding period. Because it is stressful and exhausting.

theonelink

Reaction score
I've been shedding since starting finasteride, just over 7 months now lololol... fml. Meh let's just hope for stabalisation first! then regrowth...

maybe

vegetablelasagna_

Reaction score
I've been shedding since starting finasteride, just over 7 months now lololol... fml. Meh let's just hope for stabalisation first! then regrowth...

maybe

I'm on month 7 and still shedding as well. I went through your post history. Your situation sounds very similar to mine (I'm almost 22). Started with 1 year slight shedding, 2 months of aggressive shedding before I started finasteride as a preventative measure. Started at norwood 1 with signs of recession at the temple and slight thinning at front. My temples shed like crazy after starting to expose a nice clean norwood 2 recession. I can confidently say they are slowly darkening with little hairs back to a norwood 1 hairline. But at the rate of shedding and regrowth, I'm going to hold my breath until atleast 2 years before I am anywhere close to the full head of hair I had before starting.

theonelink

Reaction score
I'm on month 7 and still shedding as well. I went through your post history. Your situation sounds very similar to mine (I'm almost 22). Started with 1 year slight shedding, 2 months of aggressive shedding before I started finasteride as a preventative measure. Started at norwood 1 with signs of recession at the temple and slight thinning at front. My temples shed like crazy after starting to expose a nice clean norwood 2 recession. I can confidently say they are slowly darkening with little hairs back to a norwood 1 hairline. But at the rate of shedding and regrowth, I'm going to hold my breath until atleast 2 years before I am anywhere close to the full head of hair I had before starting.

Damn same lol... norwood 1-2 in a few months, least you have hairs growing back on your temples... mine are still slick bald and still going back! its frustrating because they say the younger you are more likely to have success