Shedding worse in the winter or summer?

Snarfleflous

Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that everyone tends to shed more in the winter months than in the summer months. Is there any truth to this?

Killer95GT302

Reaction score
The only factor i can see causing this to be true for everyone is that the air gets drier in the winter time (for colder climates anyway) causing the scalp skin to also get dry which leads to dandruff, hairloss, etc.

Otherwise, I think shedding depends on the individual and is not dependent on the season.

Thats my take on it anyway.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
I have read that actually humans... like animals.. we tend to shed LESS during the winter months and more during summers as obviously animals tend to need more hair during cold months and less during summer months to keep cooler.. i believe I read that on minoxidil.com

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My head felt a lot more irritated and vulnerable during the summer because of the heat.

juhis

Reaction score
i know for a fact my head sheds hair more frequently during the winter. my scalp dries out just like my face and the hair gets very brittle and just drops out. it sucks!

Cassin

Reaction score
Everybody claims one season has more sheds in the summer. Every season handfuls of people make the same post.

Soon we will see the same threads for spring...then summer...then fall then winter.

Snarfleflous

Reaction score
so maybe I should take it easy on the Nizoral, then.

So frustrating! And here I thought I was making progress. I really thought that those little hairs that were growing around my hairline were a sign of good things to come...now I'm worried that it's just my hair growing back in thinner than it was before.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
It would appear shedding is worse in the Summer.
hh

Br J Dermatol. 1991 Feb;124(2):146-51. Links
Seasonal changes in human hair growth.

* Randall VA,
* Ebling FJ.

Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Bradford, U.K.

Various parameters of hair growth were determined every 28 days for 18 months in 14 healthy Caucasian men aged 18-39 with indoor occupations in Sheffield, U.K. (latitude 53.4 degrees N). In the scalp the proportion of follicles in anagen reached a single peak of over 90% in March, and fell steadily to a trough in September. The number of shed hairs reached a peak around August/September, when least follicles were in anagen. At this time the average loss of hairs was about 60 per day, more than double that during the preceding winter. The rate of growth of the beard was lowest in January and February and increased steadily from March to July to reach a peak about 60% above the winter level. The rate of growth of thigh hair showed a similar pattern though with less pronounced differences. No seasonal fluctuations in finger- or toenail growth were detected.