Shedding

adam_uk

Reaction score
is it normal to shed hair every day while using Propecia? I feel it works but i still lose, say 10/15 hairs a day? I must say i dont get my hair cut, which i know i should, so i guess this does not help?

Also could someone explain the whole 'shedding thing' please, because sometimes i feel i go through stages when im losing more than normal. Is this part of the medicines cycle? I worry that ive done something wrong like the pill hasnt worked for various reasons.

your help would be valued.

thanks guys..

Pelle

Reaction score
Everybody is loosing hair, everyday!
I should love to loose only 10 to 15 hairs a day. I loose over 300 hairs each day.

I believe propecia reduce the amount of hairs you loose on 1 day. So if you loose like me 300 hairs, propecia can reduce this to (lets say) 50 or 100 hairs a day, but you are still loosing hairs.
I'm just 1 month on finasteride so i can't say if its going to reduce my hair loss, but let we hope so.

Conclusion: It is normal to loose about 50 to 100 hairs a day, also when you are on propecia.

adam_uk

Reaction score
cool, i mean, i really notice them, cause i have longish hair, maybe a loose a little more than twenty, but i still dont like it!!

reason i ask apart from worrying is that some people say they dont shed at all on propecia but i do, any other thing people could help me on in my first post please?

FreeloaderUK

Established Member
Reaction score
in order for new hair to grow old hair has to fall out & the follicle has to rest for a while before growing a new hair. when you start taking propecia its possible that a lot of weak hairs affected by thinning fall out at around the same time. hair grows in cycles so its not impossible for you to experience periods of hairloss.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
FreeloaderUK said:
in order for new hair to grow old hair has to fall out & the follicle has to rest for a while before growing a new hair. when you start taking propecia its possible that a lot of weak hairs affected by thinning fall out at around the same time. hair grows in cycles so its not impossible for you to experience periods of hairloss.

What he said. From my experience there have been certain months where I shed more than others. At the beginnings of months 3, 6, and 9. Hopefully with the way hair cycles this will grow back thicker than it had been before. Remember balding isn't the result of hair just falling out, never to see it again. It's the result of hairs shedding and growing back thinner (miniaturization). So even if Propecia doesn't work at all for you the shed hair should still come back, but it will come back thinner. Although I can't understand how that would happen given the fact that it somewhat counteracts the DHT effect.