shiny, oily scalp

ciccione

Reaction score
Hi,

Any antidotes for shiny scalp? Will Nizoral work for this? I wash my hair every day, but it doesn't seem to help. Do anti-androgens actually cause oily scalp, or does the condition result from there being less hair to absorb a normal amount of sebum? Is the excess oil a cause of male pattern baldness or rather just a byproduct of it?

Thanks,
C.

ciccione

Reaction score
Someone, anyone?

Also, does anyone have opinions about spironolactone and its effectiveness for diffuse thinners?

The Gardener

Reaction score
I can't help you with the shiny scalp issue. Will Nizoral help? Maybe.

As for spironolactone and diffuse thinning, I think it is perfect. A nightly dousing of 2% would hit the spot, in my opinion.

JesusFreak

Established Member
Reaction score
spironolactone works for oily scalp by shuting down the sebaceus glands. Retin A does the same thing. Androgens make the hair oily.

ciccione

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, chaps. Does spironolactone cause a shed? And are there any adverse health risks/sides?

Basketballhead

Established Member
Reaction score
Ciccione Im not sure how bald you are but Im pretty thin on top and for a cosmetic concealer I use Dermmatch it definately reduces the shine and dimishes the look of your scalp showing through.

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
since spironolactone is topical there are no side effects except you may just not respond to it, and yes spironolactone causes a shed.....doesnt last long though

ciccione

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

Basketballhead: Thanks for the concealer tip, which is much appreciated.

Blue: I'm a bit worried about some of the anecdotal evidence I've been gathering about severe spironolactone sheds. What was your experience?

Thanks.