Short hair vs. long hair shedding

Ouroboros

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all;

I've noticed something and was wondering if any of you have an explanation. When I had very long hair (16 inches); I rarely saw hairs on my pillow when I woke up in the morning; maybe 1 or 2; but now that I have very short hair (1cm ish) I find a lot more per night; on average maybe 20. Does anyone have any ideas why this would be the case? I can come up with 2 guesses:

1) With long hair if it gets pulled out; it still might not officially "shed" because its like caught up in the rest of your hair; and comes out in the shower or something when your not looking.

2) When its very short and porcupine like; it might be easier for tossing and turning in bed to knock hairs out (because of like tensile resistance or something).

Any thoughts?

Ouroboros

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought of a 3rd reason; since my hair is so short I'm not brushing it; therefore not shedding any hairs in my brush or comb.

Ouroboros

Established Member
Reaction score
More

On closer inspection i've been finding its more like 30-70 per night on the pillowcase.

Can anyone who has had both very short hair and long hair back me up on these observations? I don't know whether to be nervous or not.

Its worth noting that whether my hair was long or short; the same amount seems to come out in the shower daily; maybe even a little less when its short (8-12) as opposed to maybe (16-20).

Any thought?

Ouroboros

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting; I'm not sure if I buy it (because I've long heard from doctors and such that barking up the sebum tree is the wrong angle) but it is interesting. I'm still looking for any of you out there who have had both long and short hair and if your observations match my own. Thanks.

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
My hair was long and curly forever up until yesterday. I haven't noticed more on my pillow, but I know my hair collected lots of shed hairs when it was long. Also, I know it sounds a little girly, but you could try a satin (or silk) pillowcase if you think friction is a problem.

Ouroboros

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input; I actually just bought a satin pillowcase (Navy blue for manliness of course) ;)