Should I start minoxidil?

shouldistart

Reaction score
I'm 27 (turning 28 in 2 months) and I recently noticed some thinning. (album attached at end)

I've always had a high hairline, and I've noticed the front has thinned over the years (and receded maybe a centimeter), as well as the overall thickness of my hair (which has always been straight and fair).

I've also experienced an odd burning over the past two weeks on my scalp which I've read can be a sign of balding.

Anyway, I was wondering if I should start minoxidil? I've read some things online that say it's never too early to start, BUT I've read horror stories about people in about my shape (NW2) that have started minoxidil/Rogaine as a way to maintain what they have, and then it just nukes their hair into a bald spot and it never came back, even after a year of use. :\

From the photos you can see, depending on the lighting and angle it goes from looking pretty bad to me (2nd to last photo), or it looks even unnoticeable.
I don't really notice my hair 'shedding,' although I did in college (about 6 years ago), but in recent years I don't wake up with hair on my pillow or see it fall on my desk or have dozens of hairs in my hands as I wash my hair (instead I'll get 3 or 4).

ALBUM: http://imgur.com/a/04Mqy

As for genetics...on Dad's side he went bald in his early 30s. There's some wedding photos with a combover and receded hair. On Mom's side, none. Grandfather lived into 80s with full head of hair. My uncles same, but they had high hairlines like me. Also blonde hair, my Dad has black hair.

I'd appreciate any opinions. Also I'm really scared of the side effects of finasteride, so I'd rather not jump on that right away. Could it just be that my hair loss has stabilized and I just never realized how thin I was on the crown? (hopefully?)