Should You Combine Finasterid With Pregnenolone To Prevent Brainfog/other Neuro Related Sideeffects?

couldntthinkofaname

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
allright as you all know finasteride not only affect dht but also a lot of other (neuro)steroids

1. DHT drops 2. T increases by 20-40% 3. Dopamine increases and serotonin decreases in parts of brain 4. SHBG increases 5. E2 increases 6. FSH decreases (hence why people experience watery semen or lower sperm) 7. LH significantly decreases 8. Due to lower LH, difficulty to turn cholesterol into pregenolone 9. Increase in Cholesterol due to 5-ar action decreased in liver 10. Decrease in progesterone and its ability to convert to dihydroprogesterone 11. Increase in Cortizol / Decrease in Dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEA-s) 12. Disrupt in the production of all 5-alpha steroids (testosterone, 5a-androstan-17-diol etc)

One recent study published in Neuroendocrinology found that after 20 days of finasteride exposure, male rats showed altered levels of a whole host of neurosteroids and receptors in their brains. Thirty days after going off the drug, the changes were more pronounced than when they were on the drug.

Finasteride causes reductions in allopregnenolone, a potent, endogenous positive modulator of the GABA-A receptor, in very large doses in rodent studies.

5alpha-reductase, which finasteride inhibits, is a critical enzyme in the conversion of several steroids such as testosterone, progesterone, aldosterone and corticosterone in the brain. This enzyme converts testosterone to the most natural potent androgen DHT, and also it acts an important role in conversion of progesterone to dihhydroprogesterone (DHP). DHP is further converted to allopregnenolone (5alpha, 3alpha-tetrahydroprogesterone) by 3alpha-HSD. Allopregnanolone is a modulator of gamma amino butyric acid type A receptor (GABA-A), and increases chloride conductance. This neurosteroid has been found to exert anti-convulsant, anesthetic and anxiolytic effects. Moreover, change in the levels of allopregnanolone is found to be associated with depressive disorders.

If you must use Propecia, you can likely offset this reductions in allopregnenolone and the resultant cognitive deficits and depressive symptoms by supplementing with Pregnenolone. Pregnenolone is metabolized sequentially to 5a-dihydroprogesterone and 3a,5a-. tetrahydroprogesterone (3a,5a-THP) or allopregnenolone. Based upon this data, it would be prudent for anyone currently using Propecia, Proscar, and/or Avodart to adjunctively use 50-100 mg of Pregnenolone a day. Your mood and cognitive functioning may well depend on it.

https://www.hairloss-research.org/UpdatePropeciaandDepression7-08.html

Pregnenolone and its sulfate (pregnenolone sulfate) are excitatory neurosteroids – they stimulate the brain

Pros
  • Great for cognitive enhancement
  • Is relaxing and stimulating at the same time
  • Increases motivation
  • Increases wakefulness
  • Increase hormones
  • Good for libido
  • Good for longevity
Cons
  • May increase anxiety for some
  • Can cause some sleep issues
https://www.selfhacked.com/blog/top-11-scientific-health-benefits-pregnenolone-including-drawbacks/

also this thread shows the link between pregnenolone and baldness

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...ack-of-pregnenolone-anyone-knows-this.103894/

Last edited:

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think adding a precursor of the neurosteroids you want to increase the levels of will help because the conversion is limited by the activity of 5AR enzyme, rather than the precursor molecule. Taking supplemental allopregnenolone might make sense as that is one of the neurosteroids that is known to be depleted with the use of 5-AR inhibitors, but I don't think allopregnenolone is easily accessed and I don't think there is any evidence that this would be beneficial in practice. Perhaps some PFS docs have done this study; it seems like an obvious one to run.

abcdefg

Reaction score
https://www.hairloss-research.org/UpdatePropeciaandDepression7-08.html
last paragraph ; but Your mood and cognitive functioning may well depend on it!!

He is right on most of it, but some of it is just opinion. Finasteride often causes breast enlargement in men? Go look at the studies its barely different from placebo. Its like .02 percent or some tiny number which happens to men that are not on anything as they age by the way. Its a little alarmist and extreme, but I do think he is right on some things like the scariest part of finasteride the neurosteroids.
I dont think there is anything you can do, and im skeptical of his claim of supplementing that. you never know someones true intentions he might be selling that supplement for profit himself!

"Finasteride often causes breast enlargement in men"

el_duterino

Reaction score
This does not make sense
Why not using a topical anti androgen which has zero systemic effect such as Clascoterone?

veneno

My Regimen
Reaction score
im currrntly still studying and the brain fog and forgotfulness is undenieble(5month in) , sometimes i feel like im dreaming in class , i cant even focus on the words comming from the professor , im going to try this Pregnenolone if i can find it in my country . Pregnenolone is natural steroid for brain , its essention of making new neurosteroids cells , and its produced from cholesterol with the 5alfa enzyme along with dht .and by the way i have a little gyno from the age of pubrity and during the first 3 months i dod experience pain and puffiness in both nippels , it scared me , but i didbt stop , luckly it went away now , the lump still there and some times i still experience some mild tingle but not as much as it used to be , finasteride is POISON bits its the only thing out there , this is a hard equation to solve..

Last edited:

abcdefg

Reaction score
Right now the choice is very simple. Take finasteride with the dangers, or dont and just accept what nature gives you. In a few more years hopefully we finally get a real topical finasteride or breezula so we can FINALLY treat male pattern baldness topically without destroying our entire body
Its just a bit odd its going to take 30 something years to go from finasteride to something topical that works.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Pregnenolone is called the grandmother of hormones. Taking it is nonspecific and is not going to be helpful for brain fog with Finasteride. Alloprehnenolone modulates the GABA-A receptor, so taking things that do the same will help the most...such as low dose benzodiazepines, low to moderate alcohol intake, etc. I am not saying taking high dose benzos and alcohol will help as the deleterious effects will overtake any positive.

veneno

My Regimen
Reaction score
is that coming from experience or from theories? i will share my experience , i m very sensitive ,i will notice the slightest difference. will appreciate any experience about pregnenolone.

Last edited:

veneno

My Regimen
Reaction score
im 25 , using 1mg finasteride ED for 6months now , side effects ;reduced libido, weaker erections and brain fog ;5 days taking pregnenolone 15mg per day , great supplement , it almost eliminate 50% of the brain fog
5 minutes after taing the first pill , eyes got wide open , improved consentration , memory improvement , am actually still studying so can still notice the changes , also have an increase libido ,less fatigue, and all day lasting energie ,great mood through the day , im also combined it with 15mg of zinc and 1 gam of citrulline malate.
pregnenolone sides effects; not much some very light ache in liver area in the 1st day i think 15mg is enough and im considering upping the dose to test the effects.
none if this improvement is near the normal state!! i mean before taking finasteride .great supplement over all but should not be taking without blood test and doctor supervision.
erection are improved and more maintained but not as strong as before finasteride ; defenitly something is messing ,also im still notice experiencing some memory and consentration lack in class , i felt some small not much noticeable ache in my liver area(as i mensioned before im very sensitve) feel some light tingling and itch in my scalp but not as strong as before finasteride wich mean that the hair follicles are sensiteve to other androgens beside DHT
conclusion
the 5alfa is responsible of much more than blocking DHT , the only solution that im thinking of and i find it much more safer long term; is CB0301 by binding to the hair follicle androgen receptor it should maintain ; also does not interfear with hormoal balance and as they claim its directly converted when it reaches the blood stream
now my only conserne is reversiblity of negative effects already done by taking finasteride.
i hope this feed back can help those who considering taking finasteride , im not considering my self a doctor , this based on my simple personal expericene.

randolf_faust

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
hormone_grafik.jpg

if you take it together with finasteride it shouldnt raise the dht lvl

its not illegal so you can buy it as a supplement in most countries

i always order here

https://www.vitabay.net/pregnenolon-50-mg-aus-rotem-palmoel-extrakt-vegane-kapseln-1952

took it for 2 years straight combined with finasteride and while my hairline is still strong sideeffects regarding mood/concentration improved for sure

could be a conincident or placebo of course

randolf_faust

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
also this is quite interesting:

In a 2013 study of 31 healthy people, another research team found that giving people oral doses of a compound called allopregnanolone – derived from pregnenolone – had a calming effect on the participants’ amygdala and insula, which are the regions of the brain responsible for threat detection, emotional recall, and the anticipation of unpleasant reactions.

Maave

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I found this from other sources and mentioned it in another thread. Nobody wanted to try ... babies. I think it's definitely worth a shot for people getting finasteride side effects. You either try to counter the side effects or you drop fina.

@veneno
Thanks for posting your experience. I saw your others posts that you quit finasteride. Have you taken pregnenolone after quitting fina or only at the same time?

veneno

My Regimen
Reaction score
I found this from other sources and mentioned it in another thread. Nobody wanted to try ... babies. I think it's definitely worth a shot for people getting finasteride side effects. You either try to counter the side effects or you drop fina.

@veneno
Thanks for posting your experience. I saw your others posts that you quit finasteride. Have you taken pregnenolone after quitting fina or only at the same time?
i can tell you from my short exp that pregnenolone supp will help at some degre but it will create other problems , it may also deepen up the bad effects of finasteride , from what i learned the hormonal system is very fragile and my advise to all people is to not take finasteride or any drug that have effect on the endocrine system .

Last edited:

badhabiz

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i can tell you from my short exp that pregnenolone supp will help at some degre but it will create other problems , it may also deepen up the bad effects of finasteride , from what i learned the hormonal system is very fragile and my advise to all people is to not take finasteride or any drug that have effect on the endocrine system .
you're absolutely right in my ho. as told by Obsessive user about pregnolone, even if it was accessed by a supplement it has its toll in terms of hairloss and above all if taken with finasteride may cause an estrogen spyke due to dht blocking

randolf_faust

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

luckily i didnt experience any downsides so far. i hope it stays that way

Anand0001

My Regimen
Reaction score
I heard on the radio show 'the bald truth' that advised (for brain fog) taking 1mg/week for one month then graduating into 2mg/week (eg 1mg on Monday and Thursday) for month two and staying there if there are no further side effects.

They also said some people have good results on lower dosage, especially ones who react wierdly on finasteride.

Has anyone tried it? Does it have potential to work?

randolf_faust

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I heard on the radio show 'the bald truth' that advised (for brain fog) taking 1mg/week for one month then graduating into 2mg/week (eg 1mg on Monday and Thursday) for month two and staying there if there are no further side effects.

They also said some people have good results on lower dosage, especially ones who react wierdly on finasteride.

Has anyone tried it? Does it have potential to work?

didnt you answer your own question?