Should You Stop Washing Your Hair to Slow Hair Loss?

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
:freaked: :p :freaked:

http://hairloss.about.com/b/a/256410.htm

parris.jpg

Should You Stop Washing Your Hair to Slow Hair Loss?
British politico and author Matthew Parris says yes. And his revelation that for ten years, he hasn't washed his hair has caused a major upheaval in the UK and Australian press. He claims that his hair is "as light and fluffy as a kitten's coat." Says Parris: "One day I shall be hailed as a lonely prophet of the nonsense of shampoo."

http://www.spectator.co.uk/archive/colu ... ease.thtml

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1793589,00.html

You rinse the hair vigorously with warm water. That removes excess dirt, leaving some oil behind. Eventually your hair gets less greasy and it stays clean, just like a cat's or a rabbit's stays clean, without the need for detergent. It's very marked.

powersam

Reaction score
the fact that the people shilling this were doing it for their own personal amusement does not remove the possibility that this approach might have merit. ask anyone affected with OCD about the condition of their hands and you'll have immediate proof that overwashing has a drastic and negative effect on skin health.

i'm not talking about sebum, i'm talking about deep epidermal lipids, removed by the harsh detergents in shampoos.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
That poor Julius Caesar: somebody should have told him to stop using those harsh shampoos which removed all his deep epidermal lipids.

CCS

Reaction score
no, shampooing does not cause hair loss. Bad androgen receptors and too much 5ar2 production causes hair loss.

All those homeless guys with their thick NW1's. That guy must be right.

You won't see any really old homeless people though because they die off, but I've seen some bald ones, and they smelled like they NEVER shower.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
That poor Julius Caesar: somebody should have told him to stop using those harsh shampoos which removed all his deep epidermal lipids.
hahaha sorry this cracks me up. oh man

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:

:? :? :?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soap

The most popular soapmaking processes today is the cold process method, where fats such as olive oil react with lye.

[...]

Lye
Reacting fat with sodium hydroxide will produce a hard soap.

Reacting fat with potassium hydroxide will produce a soap that is either soft or liquid. Historically, the alkali used was potassium hydroxide made from the deliberate burning of vegetation such as bracken, or from wood ashes.

Fat

Handicraft made Marseille soapSoap is derived from either oils or fats. Sodium tallowate, a common ingredient in many soaps, is in fact derived from rendered beef fat. Soap can also be made of vegetable oils, such as palm oil, and the product is typically softer. If soap is made from pure olive oil it may be called Castile soap or Marseille soap. Castile is also sometimes applied to soaps with a mix of oils, but a high percentage of olive oil.

An array of quality oils and butters are used in the process such as olive, coconut, palm cocoa butter, shea butter to list a few. Each oil chosen by the soap maker has unique characteristics that provide different qualities to handmade soaps including mildness, lathering and hardness. For example olive oil provides mildness in soap; coconut oil provides lots of lather while coconut and palm oils provides hardness.

[...]

Early History
The earliest known evidence of soap use are Babylonian clay cylinders dating from 2800 BC containing a soap-like substance. A formula for soap consisting of water, alkali and cassia oil was written on a Babylonian clay tablet around 2200 BC.

The Ebers papyrus (Egypt, 1550 BC) indicates that ancient Egyptians bathed regularly and combined animal and vegetable oils with alkaline salts to create a soap-like substance. Egyptian documents mention that a soap-like substance was used in the preparation of wool for weaving.

Roman History
It is commonly reported that a soap factory with bars of scented soap was found in the ruins of Pompeii (79 AD). However, this has proved to be a misinterpretation of the survival of some soapy mineral substance, [citation needed] probably soapstone at the Fullonica where it was used for dressing recently cleansed textiles. Unfortunately this error has been repeated widely and can be found in otherwise reputable texts on soap history. The ancient Romans were generally ignorant of soap's detergent properties, and made use of the strigil to scrape dirt and sweat from the body. The word "soap" (Latin sapo) appears first in a European language in Pliny the Elder's Historia Naturalis, which discusses the manufacture of soap from tallow and ashes, but the only use he mentions for it is as a pomade for hair; he mentions rather disapprovingly that among the Gauls and Germans men are likelier to use it than women [1]

A story encountered in some places claims that soap takes its name from a supposed "Mount Sapo" where ancient Romans sacrificed animals. Rain would send a mix of animal tallow and wood ash down the mountain and into the clay soil on the banks of the Tiber. Eventually, women noticed that it was easier to clean clothes with this "soap". The location of Mount Sapo is unknown, as is the source of the "ancient Roman legend" to which this tale is typically credited.[1] In fact, the Latin word sapo simply means "soap"; it was borrowed from a Celtic or Germanic language, and is cognate with Latin sebum, "tallow", which appears in Pliny the Elder's account. Roman animal sacrifices usually burned only the bones and inedible entrails of the sacrificed animals; edible meat and fat from the sacrifices were taken by the humans rather than the gods. Animal sacrifices in the ancient world would not have included enough fat to make much soap. The legend about Mount Sapo is probably apocryphal.

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
:freaked: :freaked: :freaked:

Any substance that activates an acne attack could also activate male pattern baldness ...?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrotestosterone

Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) (Full name: 5α-Dihydrotestosterone, abbreviating to 5α-DHT; INN: androstanolone) is a biologically active metabolite of the hormone testosterone, formed primarily in the prostate gland, testes, hair follicles, and adrenal glands by the enzyme 5α-reductase by means of reducing the 4,5 double-bond.

[...]

DHT is also known to participate in the development of acne.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acne

Causes of acne
There are many misconceptions and rumours about acne. Exactly why some people get acne and some do not is not fully known. It is known to be partly hereditary. Several factors are known to be linked to acne:

Family history

Hormonal activity, such as menstrual cycles and puberty

Stress, through increased output of hormones from the adrenal (stress) glands.

Hyperactive sebaceous glands, secondary to the three hormone sources above.

Accumulation of dead skin cells.

Bacteria in the pores, to which the body becomes 'allergic'.

Skin irritation or scratching of any sort will activate inflammation.

Use of anabolic steroids.

Any medication containing halogens (iodides, chlorides, bromides), lithium, barbiturates, or androgens.

Exposure to high levels of chlorine compounds, particularly chlorinated dioxins, can cause severe, long-lasting acne, known as Chloracne.

The Gardener

Reaction score
The only hole in this theory is that DHT is only half the equation.

Remember that ALL men have DHT in their blood, but only men whose hair follicles are genetically programmed to be susceptible to sensitivity to it end up suffering male pattern baldness.

Soooo.... you could have DHT levels that are through the roof, but still have a completely perfect hairline.

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:
The only hole in this theory is that DHT is only half the equation.

Remember that ALL men have DHT in their blood, but only men whose hair follicles are genetically programmed to be susceptible to sensitivity to it end up suffering male pattern baldness.

Soooo.... you could have DHT levels that are through the roof, but still have a completely perfect hairline.

Good point.

Some theories propose that hair follicles can become sensitive to DHT over time.

Felk

Reaction score
I'm all open for new theories, but in my personal experience my hair looks terrible after I haven't washed it for a while.

I have long curly hair, which even though i've still got plenty of it, is quite fine. It gets oily, limp and disgusting. I guess not washing suits some people's hair, but certainly not mine.

On the other hand my girlfriend didn't wash her hair with shampoo for 3 months after she shaved it for cancer, and it always looked fine. If I shave my head anytime, I think i'll wash less often and see how my hair shapes up.

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Felk said:
I'm all open for new theories, but in my personal experience my hair looks terrible after I haven't washed it for a while.

I have long curly hair, which even though i've still got plenty of it, is quite fine. It gets oily, limp and disgusting. I guess not washing suits some people's hair, but certainly not mine.

On the other hand my girlfriend didn't wash her hair with shampoo for 3 months after she shaved it for cancer, and it always looked fine. If I shave my head anytime, I think i'll wash less often and see how my hair shapes up.

I have basically shaved my head for the past two years so there was no need for shampoo, just a good noggin rinse with water. No real regrowth can be attributed to not shampooing in my case. I did have some regrowth after 2 1/2 months of minoxidil but had to quit the minoxidil due to perceived side effects.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
wookster said:
Bryan said:

{snip lengthy lesson on the history of soap usage}

Not sure what all that has to do with what we were talking about (especially my point about Julius Caesar), but thanks anyway...

powersam

Reaction score
Bryan said:
wookster said:
Bryan said:

{snip lengthy lesson on the history of soap usage}

Not sure what all that has to do with what we were talking about (especially my point about Julius Caesar), but thanks anyway...

julius caesar has nothing to do with the possibility that shampooing may speed up hair loss.