Shuffle's story

Shuffle

Reaction score
Yo. I've been kinda lurking around here for awhile and I decided to register today since I have a question someone might be able to answer.

Anyway, I'm nineteen and my hair's been thinning all over my crown since late '05. I only notice that now after looking at pictures. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it was happening until summer of '06 and at that time I guess I was sort of in denial. I finally started on Propecia in the fall of that year.

I think I've pretty much got the thinning under control. I'd like to see about thickening it back up now if I can. I see that many of you use some sort of minoxidil and you recommend that others do the same. I was wondering, (I've been dying to get this question answered for awhile now) if I got on Rogaine or some such thing and grew back some hair, would I be able to stop using it and expect the Propecia to maintain the minoxidil hair? I know that you're supposed to lose what you gain when you stop taking it, but I figured that you'd lose it for the same reason you lost it in the first place, and the finasteride is supposed to be taking care of that. I mean, as much as I'd like to regrow my hair, I just don't know if it's worth the hassle of applying the minoxidil everyday of my life. Besides, the Propecia seems to be doing some thickening on its own so I guess I don't need the minoxidil anyway.

It just sucks a lot being the only one out of all my friends who's losing his hair, and I'm not even doing it gracefully. I think I could pull off a simple receding hairline, but I got hit with this stupid thinning instead. It really takes its toll on a kid's confidence, ya' know?

That's about it, I think. I'm afraid I don't really have any recent pictures to post or anything like that. No camera either. Well, thanks for reading and double thanks for responding.

kilgore

Reaction score
Shuffle said:
I was wondering, (I've been dying to get this question answered for awhile now) if I got on Rogaine or some such thing and grew back some hair, would I be able to stop using it and expect the Propecia to maintain the minoxidil hair? I know that you're supposed to lose what you gain when you stop taking it, but I figured that you'd lose it for the same reason you lost it in the first place, and the finasteride is supposed to be taking care of that. I mean, as much as I'd like to regrow my hair, I just don't know if it's worth the hassle of applying the minoxidil everyday of my life. Besides, the Propecia seems to be doing some thickening on its own so I guess I don't need the minoxidil anyway.

It just sucks a lot being the only one out of all my friends who's losing his hair, and I'm not even doing it gracefully. I think I could pull off a simple receding hairline, but I got hit with this stupid thinning instead. It really takes its toll on a kid's confidence, ya' know?

That's about it, I think. I'm afraid I don't really have any recent pictures to post or anything like that. No camera either. Well, thanks for reading and double thanks for responding.

If you have any benefits from rogain, that hair that grew from using it becomes minoxidil dependent so that if you stop the minoxidil, it will fall off. Finasteride will not prevent that from happening because it is only effective on normal hair not minoxidil dependent hair.

You're 19 so unless you have very aggressive hairloss you should be fine with just finasteride. If you decide to get on minoxidil take pictures before you start and make a commitment to use it regularly. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Shuffle

Reaction score
Gah, that's kind of a pain. Well, I've only been on Propecia for a little less than a year and it's at least stopping it from falling out anymore. I guess I should probably just wait and see how it pans out.

Thanks for your help.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
finasteride wont stop minoxidil dependent hair from falling off.

Once you start minoxidil, its a life time journey.