Shuji123's Story (26yo w pic, propecia 2 yrs)

shuji123

Reaction score
Hi guys, here's my story, and would appreciate any advice.

I guess I first got told thinning at the crown at around 19 or 20 years old, when someone in a lecture room sitting behind me made a comment on my crown saying there's less hair there, but I didn't really care back then as I always kinda had thin hair and thought that's how my cowlick was from birth, and also because my parents had absolutely no hairloss so it never ever occurred to me that male pattern baldness could happen to me.

It was only 4 years later in Jan 2008, where one day in a clothe changing cubicle strong light directly shined on the top of my head and I saw a bald spot, that I realised sh*t.. I'm balding. After that, I began obsessed with my hair taking pictures every day, and that's the same time when I first noticed the infamous male pattern baldness itch at the crown area where I previously didn't notice.

10 month later, after thorough research, I finally decided to jump on propecia along with a range of other stuff. Below is my regimen timeline, I was 24 yo back then

October 2008 - Propecia 1mg EOD
October 2008 - Nizoral 2-3x per week
June 2009 - Changed to Propecia 1mg every day
July 2009 - Started Tricomin (now Folligen), and Emu oil. (to try and control inflammation and itch)
July 2010 - Added spironolactone 5% from Dr. Lee

So as you can see, I've been on finasteride for nearly 2 years, first year on EOD, now everyday. But I don't think it has improved my crown at all. I've attached some pics.

[attachment=5:cteil0h6]20080409_1.JPG[/attachment:cteil0h6]

[attachment=0:cteil0h6]20100515_1.JPG[/attachment:cteil0h6]

The above 2 pic where taken using my mobile with flash, which probably doesn't show the true colours of my problem, in nature sunlight, my hairloss looks much worse, as shown below

[attachment=3:cteil0h6]DSC00701.JPG[/attachment:cteil0h6]

[attachment=2:cteil0h6]DSC00702.JPG[/attachment:cteil0h6]

[attachment=1:cteil0h6]DSCF7245.JPG[/attachment:cteil0h6]

I guess my question is..
Should I start on dutasteride? or minoxidil? or stay on my current regimen for a while?
I'm really not too sure, but kinda leaning towards minoxidil. Though kinda scared to use minoxidil based on horror stories..

Attachments

• 20080409_1.JPG
    20080409_1.JPG
    231.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 20100715_1.JPG
    20100715_1.JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC00701.JPG
    DSC00701.JPG
    269.8 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC00702.JPG
    DSC00702.JPG
    255.1 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCF7245.JPG
    DSCF7245.JPG
    419.3 KB · Views: 215
  • 20100515_1.JPG
    20100515_1.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 194

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I suggest you go to dermatologist instead of selfmedicine in your case.

Absolute no signs to hairloss on your hairline, no change on the vertex after 2 years, no parents with hairloss. It might only be how your vertex is normally and you are obsessing over nothing...

shuji123

Reaction score
MrBastard said:
I suggest you go to dermatologist instead of selfmedicine in your case.

Absolute no signs to hairloss on your hairline, no change on the vertex after 2 years, no parents with hairloss. It might only be how your vertex is normally and you are obsessing over nothing...

yeah, I've been to countless derms, even had a scalp biopsy done, which came back indeterminant.. but general consensus from derms is mild male pattern baldness i believe.

no change in vertex after 2 years could be because I'm taking propecia though. The thing is I'd never know what it would be like if I hadn't taken finasteride..

Interesting that you mentioned it might be how my vertex is ever since the outset, that's what I thought could be possible too, until I observed every kid's crown on the street, and none of them had a thin crown like me, so I'm pretty sure I wasn't like that when I was a kid...

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Your hairline is fine and your crown does appear a little thin.

If I were you, I'd cut out all the other crap, and stay on finasteride as long as it isn't too expensive or giving you side effects.

You'll probably never have to worry about it anymore.

shuji123

Reaction score
I also took some microscopic pics in my male pattern baldness area and my normal area..

Does the size of the hair in both pic look the same to you guys? Or is one thinner than the other? Thanks for any advice!

[attachment=1:29nu9gas]Vertex Right 02.jpg[/attachment:29nu9gas]

[attachment=0:29nu9gas]right bump 01.jpg[/attachment:29nu9gas]

Attachments

• Vertex Right 02.jpg
    Vertex Right 02.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 208
  • right bump 01.jpg
    right bump 01.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 200

Tom1985

Established Member
Reaction score
If you're not getting any sides and it doesn't seem to be doing any harm to your hair then stay on finasteride. It will help maintain what you've got.

With regards to actually regrowing hair I'm afraid Rogaine may be your only option.

Apparently it works best on the crown too.