Siblings: one has it, the other loses it?

VoteForPedro

Reaction score
Based on my observations, UNLESS THEY ARE TWINS, siblings (let's just say TWO brothers or two sisters) always seem to have different hair types, and on top of that, one has a fuller head while the other does not. have you noticed this? brothers i've noticed are opposites: one has a lot more hair and almost never seems to go bald...and the other is screwed. Sometimes it's the older brother, and sometimes it's the younger one. There must be some connection here...am i crazy?

s.a.f

Reaction score

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
no...you're not...I know 4 brothers...2 has hairs and the others 2 doesn't have... it really sucks...

s.a.f

Reaction score
Obviously it happens but I think in general its much more likely that 2 brothers will have similair hair in most cases. Like about 80% of the time. My dad is one of 3 brothers and all have the same NW6 like their father, and every bald guy that I work with who has a brother the brother is also bald. I can only think of a few cases where I've seen one brother with hair and the other bald.

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
I have two older half-brothers (from the mother's side) in their 30s and one younger brother who is 21. One of my half-brothers is a norwood 7, the other is a norwood 4. My younger brother is a norwood 2.5. At 24 I am a norwood 3.

s.a.f

Reaction score
toocoolforhair said:
I have two older half-brothers (from the mother's side) in their 30s and one younger brother who is 21. One of my half-brothers is a norwood 7, the other is a norwood 4. My younger brother is a norwood 2.5. At 24 I am a norwood 3.

And I bet all will progress to being roughly the same as their brother. So its not a case of one has hair the other is bald, like the OP implied.

The Gardener

Reaction score
VoteForPedro said:
Based on my observations, UNLESS THEY ARE TWINS, siblings (let's just say TWO brothers or two sisters) always seem to have different hair types, and on top of that, one has a fuller head while the other does not. have you noticed this?
Man, can you believe those statistics?

Wow!

cuebald

Reaction score
My three uncles (mothers brothers) all share the exact same NW4. I have practically joined them.

peter079

Established Member
Reaction score
It's true in my case. I'm 32 rapid diffused thinning started at 21, now about nw5 with huge bald spot and very thin. My brother 27 has the thickest, darkest hair I've ever seen, and no sign of male pattern baldness at all.

My father has 5 brothers. They are all in their 50's. Three have kept all their hair and have gone grey so will not be loosing it. The two younger ones are about nw5.
That brings me to another point. Men don't seem to loose hair that goes grey. If a man goes grey when he is young he will keep the hair for life.

Nene

Reaction score
peter079 said:
It's true in my case. I'm 32 rapid diffused thinning started at 21, now about nw5 with huge bald spot and very thin. My brother 27 has the thickest, darkest hair I've ever seen, and no sign of male pattern baldness at all.

My father has 5 brothers. They are all in their 50's. Three have kept all their hair and have gone grey so will not be loosing it. The two younger ones are about nw5.
That brings me to another point. Men don't seem to loose hair that goes grey. If a man goes grey when he is young he will keep the hair for life.

Wrong, people who are bald also get gray hair. You need to realize that a man who still has all his hair when he goes gray will be in his 40s or 50s and at that point, if you haven't lost hair, you probably aren't going to. Even if he goes gray in his 30s, most men who will go bald have some hair loss by their 30s.

VoteForPedro

Reaction score
To everyone who is discounting my "statistics," which I NEVER called them...let me just clarify! I simply said it's an observation. Maybe I'm only focusing on those siblings who have opposite hair types (curly, straight, rough, lighter, darker) and different balding patterns and different densities of hair and different levels of hair loss. Geez! And to peter079
peter079 said:

Clint Eastwood (thinning!) Steve Martin (thinning!) My father (thinning!) All of these had grey hair pretty early. And I forgot...who's that country singer from the 70s/80s who collaborated with Lionelle Richie? And later...he got a hair transplant? He had a full head of grey hair, and if he didn't get a hair transplant, he'd be a grey haired James Taylor! And this country singer went grey even before he got famous...and stayed that way forever until he went bald very quickly...he was in some movie recently. And poeple make fun of him all the time because he's really cheesy/corny. not for the hair stuff...lol.

Oh, and Neil DIamond...went KIND of grey...really early. he's thinning!

Optimistic

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've always wondered about the Bee Gees (Brothers Gibb).

Barry seems to have kept most of his hair.

Maurice lost most of his and wore a hat from quite a young age.

Robin lost all of his hair and now sports a wig.

Andy died too young, but at 30 he still had a full head of hair.

As a hairdresser I've made lots of observations over the years.

Yes, it does seem that most of those who go grey early in life (say 18 to 25) don't seem to lose hair later on.

Also, and I stress this is just my observation, it appears that Italian men suffer more hair loss than other races. However, Irish men seem to suffer less than average.

Obviously, male pattern baldness is genetic and it doesn't hit every male in a family the same. However, were siblings to take blood tests to determine whether or not they are genuinely related, statistics are showing that there is a large number who are not and some "mothers" do play away.

VoteForPedro

Reaction score
Optimistic said:

Andy died too young, but at 30 he still had a full head of hair.

As a hairdresser I've made lots of observations over the years.

Yes, it does seem that most of those who go grey early in life (say 18 to 25) don't seem to lose hair later on.

Also, and I stress this is just my observation, it appears that Italian men suffer more hair loss than other races. However, Irish men seem to suffer less than average.

Obviously, male pattern baldness is genetic and it doesn't hit every male in a family the same. However, were siblings to take blood tests to determine whether or not they are genuinely related, statistics are showing that there is a large number who are not and some "mothers" do play away.

very didactic...

imlosinit

Established Member
Reaction score
Optimistic said:

Robin Gibb is gravely ill. Hope he gets better.

They posted a picture of him.

I immediately noticed what appears to be a wig / weave.

Not sure why he couldnt find a better piece.

SNN1401GA---532_2_1489736a.jpg