Side Effect Of Finasteride Or Permanent Balding?

qztwn

Reaction score
So I noticed thinning temples and decided to go to my Doctor. My hair were perfect, no shedding other than the fact that there was visible thinning on the temples. I was prescribed finasteride. I started my dose around mid of december 2015.
Twelve days later my hair started coming off. So I stopped finasteride immediately. I hoped the shedding would taper off in a few months. It's June 2016 now and the shedding is still on and now my scalp is visible when I lift my hair. My hairline has been destroyed too and can no longer style my hair up like Ross Geller. Have to go with the flat emo-style hair to hide the widow's peak as well as the thinning frontal hair.

So will this ever stop or slow down or has the dosage permanently speeded up the balding process? Anyone with similar experiences?

Spellbinder

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am not a pro at this yet like most of forum users here are who are 1+ year on finasteride already. But I think you should have sticked to it for longer period of time, 12 days is nothing.

Kevand

Established Member
Reaction score
You should give a treatment 6 months to fairly evaluate the effectivness and 1 year to fully evaluate it as a treatment. At least give it 3-4 months. This is due the nature of the hairfollicle biology.
There are alternatives to finasteride that can help you. Read the forums ans see what fits you in term of convenience, time, money and side effects.

Here are some treatments that are considered safe
nizoral
alfatradiol
Stemox

Kevand

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17451383
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3412238/
There is a Cosmo study with one 1 % alfatradiol with solid results, couldnt find it. Alfatradiol is a weak er-agonist and a weak 5ar-Inhibitor, but it could work through other pathways as for example smooth-muscle relaxant in blood vessels and calcium inhibitor, although this effects might be though estrogenic pathways.
I haven't been able to find any anecdoctal documentation of quality but the studies above suggest at least it should help halting the hair loss.
It would be interesting to see a dose-response study of this compound since it seems to work on low doses. As a substance I am convinced it works.

qztwn

Reaction score
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17451383
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3412238/
There is a Cosmo study with one 1 % alfatradiol with solid results, couldnt find it. Alfatradiol is a weak er-agonist and a weak 5ar-Inhibitor, but it could work through other pathways as for example smooth-muscle relaxant in blood vessels and calcium inhibitor, although this effects might be though estrogenic pathways.
I haven't been able to find any anecdoctal documentation of quality but the studies above suggest at least it should help halting the hair loss.
It would be interesting to see a dose-response study of this compound since it seems to work on low doses. As a substance I am convinced it works.

Do you use alfatradiol? If yes, do suggest the concentration/dosage and the brands available.

henryviii

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used minoxidil and my hair shed after starting treatment. But I continued on and it regrew. I expect finasteride has the same effect and it's something to do with the hair follicle biology.

Kevand

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you use alfatradiol? If yes, do suggest the concentration/dosage and the brands available.

Hi! Im still evaluating the product. The brand that I use is Ell-cranell. The concentration is 0,025 %. Since the safety-profile in this doses seems fine it would interesting to see what 0,05-0,1 can do. I believe 0,025 % helps at least to slow down hair loss, a alternative to finasteride IF you have sides, to Young or fear the effects. Though if it cant maintain the hair this is not cost-effective for me.