side effects of finasteride

Warrior101

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
i've been on proscar 1/5 for about 3 weeks.. my question is that by now what shud i have had.. like if any side effects were to come, shud have i experience them by now.. coz i dont really feel any different in myself.
Also im losing alot more hair than b4 finasteride.. so i believe this is the shedding phase everybody fears so much... for how long will it continue and when will i see light at the end of the tunnel???

Free Bird

Reaction score
Warrior101 said:
Hi,
i've been on proscar 1/5 for about 3 weeks.. my question is that by now what shud i have had.. like if any side effects were to come, shud have i experience them by now.. coz i dont really feel any different in myself.
Also im losing alot more hair than b4 finasteride.. so i believe this is the shedding phase everybody fears so much... for how long will it continue and when will i see light at the end of the tunnel???

If you are losing more hair than before, that could be considered a side effect. Just this morning I read in another thread where two or three people were talking about an initial three week shed. Sounds like things are moving for you. It just gets worse before it gets better.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
like oni said, its different for each person. i shed for three or four weeks after i started finasteride it wasn't quite hundreds, but if i would push my hair down i would see one fall just about everytime, but now my hair is coming right along at 3.5 months. i think typically if people see side effects they are relatively early on in the treatment, and often go away as your body "adjusts" with the change in DHT, but again, everyone is different.

marksb11

Established Member
Reaction score
Free bird, can you elaborate on this statement you made?

"If you are losing more hair than before, that could be considered a side effect."

Did you mean that it is a shed or that losing additional hair could be a side effect of Propecia?

misterium

Reaction score
Propecia isn't just going to eat up your hair and make you lose more.

That would defeat the purpose.

Reduction of DHT side effects are not 'hair loss'.. they are things such as sex drive problems, and/or gyno.. things like that.

To say "I have been on Propecia and it's making my hair fall out".. would be like saying "I'm shedding".

Give it time to either grow back.. OR those hairs were doomed from the start. Maintenance is Propecia's main objective.. some guys get regrowth, but not many.

Free Bird

Reaction score
marksb11 said:
Free bird, can you elaborate on this statement you made?

"If you are losing more hair than before, that could be considered a side effect."

Did you mean that it is a shed or that losing additional hair could be a side effect of Propecia?

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I said what I did because you said you have felt no side effects at all. Then you went on to say that you hair had gotten worse. I was just trying to assure you that something must be going on. Otherwise you wouldn't be losing more hair right now. I don't guess shedding (which sounds like what is happening) is considered a side effect, but it is an effect caused by finasteride.