Sidekick96's Story - ( 26 / time for big 3? )

sidekick96

Reaction score
Hey folks,

First id like to thank every member on this forum for actively helping those in need as well as sharing your information.

My most definitive problem would be my hairline, from the age of 18, i had very healthy hair, although i noticed that the center of my hairline above my forehead was slightly finer than the rest of the hair (ie: temples), it didnt pose a problem and i ignored it. Fast forward a couple years, one day while i was in the bathroom cleaning my face standing directly under a light source, i happen to look up at my hair, and i was shocked to see my scalp through it... i dug out some old closeup photo's of when i was in HS and college and upon comparison, i noticed my hairline receded back just a bit but has become very thin. As a preventative measure,i tried dieting and exercise but that didnt do anything.

As 1 year went by, i started noticing more hairs in the shower, it got to the point where i started counting hairs! Finally i went to my family doctor and he prescribed 1mg Propecia, + vitamins (biotin, hair-skin-nails). I must say it didnt help me regrow hair but i was happy that it at least maintained what i had. My loss wasnt too bad, because i never once heard any comment from either my friends or family.

Now, It's been close to 3 years (im 26) since on finasteride. About 6 months ago i switched from propecia to proscar 5g (cut to 1.25mg) and i also added in Nizoral. The usual happened, no loss no gain, just recently (past 2 months) my hairs are starting to fall out more and more, i dont think this is a shed because i never recieved an initial shed when i hopped on finasteride in the first place. If you were to look straight at my hairline from slightly lower angle, u can see my scalp through my hair probably as far back as to the vertex.

Maybe finasteride isnt responding anymore? Do you folks think i should add something stronger to my regimen, such as Min?.. thus completing the Big 3 circle of life.

Family history:
Father - up until he was in his mid 30's he had a full head of hair, now at 54 he is nw5
Grand Fathers - Nw6 & nw7
Uncles - between Norwood 3-4
(so it seems i am destined to bald, unfortunately)

My updated regimen starting March:
1mg proscar ( 5mg cut to 5ths instead of 4th, as 1mg seemed to have worked before)
Aveda Pure Volume shampoo prewash.
Nizoral Shampoo - 2-3x week
Nano Shampoo & conditioner - 2-3x week

Do you guys think i should add minoxidil to my regimen based on my what im experiencing or wait a bit longer and see if Nano Helps out.

Minoxidil: (this seems to be a gray area in terms of application as i've been reading in forums)
Option: 1
Kirkland Min 5% - 2x/day

Option 2
Dr. Lee's Min 5% - 2x/day

Option 3
Xandrox 5% - 2x/day

Option 4
Xandrox 5% am / Xandrox 15%plus pm

Other options:
spironolactone 5% 1x/day, EOD. or E2D

Please leave as much feedback as possible,

Thanks!

helpmyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: 3+ years on finasteride, now continuing to thin, time for big 3?

I would suggest spironolactone to aid in maintenance, because if it can help you maintain,. then you are golden. The think about Minoxidil is that once you're on it, you are on it for life. The moment you get off it, you will lose all of your gains at lightning speed, which would be extremely depressing. So be really careful when adding minoxidil to your regimen. If I were you, I'd suggest add more anti-androgens as you said that your hair still looks pretty good. Just my opinion.

sidekick96

Reaction score
Re: 3+ years on finasteride, now continuing to thin, time for big 3?

sorry i should edit my posting, it was good 3 years ago, now if i dont use a volumizing shampoo, my hair is lifeless and its very whispy since i have medium length hair. During very sunny days, i can see my scalp around the hairline & the front of my vertex through the reflection on a window. These are some of the things i notice, other people might not because my hair is styled, almost like a comb-over but i with bangs and more stylish.

Yep and i understand that once i get on min, its going to be forevverr so im trying to avoid that path as much as possible, but if all else fails then...C'est la vie

helpmyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: 3+ yrs on finasteride, now continuing to thin, time for big 3? (26)

did u get any sides from the finasteride?

sidekick96

Reaction score

when i first got on finasteride, for two weeks my testicles ached but after that i was fine. same thing happened when i changed from Propecia to proscar.

Petchsky

Reaction score

Thing about minoxidil is that it goes great with finasteride, they work in synergy together...i've noticed most people that take finasteride and have their hairloss catch them up again, albeit at a slowed down pace, don't use minoxidil. minoxidil makes propecia go further for longer.

You really don't have to use it twice a day either, after years of using it you can miss days with no noticeable loss.

On the other hand, I think spironolactone will help you also.