Sides Of Hairline, Could This Be "corrected"?

Greybeer

Established Member
Reaction score
Picture 1
71810ac7ea2bc4466dfc4b8c4326d4de.png

picture 2
8a346ad17c9d502f279cce708756c5b0.jpg

Take a look at picture 1, you'll notice that the guys sideburns all the way up to his temple edge is pretty much a straight line; this is very common with male pattern baldness men and/ or guys with large foreheads! Then take a look at picture 2 his side profile looks much better because after the sideburns the side of his hairline moves in towards the middle of his forehead, as I said it really makes the side profile look much better and more importantly it really the narrows the forehead;overall it's just a much better look.

Now obviously it can be a result of hair loss, but some people just naturally have a straight "side hairline" and a wider and usually larger forehead. Is this something a very skilled hair transplant surgeon could basically build? Or would it just looks horribly unnatural? I think if they could pull it off it would really benefit a lot of men's facial structure/profile especially in regards to side profile.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
They're both great hairlines. If you look like that then you're golden, any scrutiny is really just splitting hairs.

shookwun

Reaction score
Of course it can be done. My second procedure was exactly Tha
Around 850 grafts to reinforce my sides and create temple points. Temple points and a little bit of angle closure at temple

farkhairloss

Established Member
Reaction score
Of course it can be done. My second procedure was exactly Tha
Around 850 grafts to reinforce my sides and create temple points. Temple points and a little bit of angle closure at temple
Have you posted pictures of your proceedures?

Greybeer

Established Member
Reaction score
What is the average natural (non male pattern baldness) hair density per cm2 ( squared), and what can the top hair transplant surgeons achieve?

By the way it's hard to see in your second Picture but how is your side transplant coming in?

shookwun

Reaction score
Second picture is before temple point transplant.

Good.. coming along. Have aesthetic temple points now. Forehead is smaller

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Shook, how much total donor hair were you told you had before your transplants. In the photos, it looks like you have very fine hair. Or do you just have diffuse thinning all over? Or is your hair just wet?

shookwun

Reaction score
Shook, how much total donor hair were you told you had before your transplants. In the photos, it looks like you have very fine hair. Or do you just have diffuse thinning all over? Or is your hair just wet?
Hair is damp, but I have fine hair. But I do have diffuse thinning also.

Looks much thicker since I grew it out. Its at around 3 inches at the front and around 1.5 inches every where else. But you wondering if short sides are possible. With a low fade it is. I sport short sided.

I don't have an exact number

farkhairloss

Established Member
Reaction score
Shookwun thanks for the pics. Although a bit hard to see with the quality. I would count youself very lucky if you had fut and can shave down to a number 2. Also interested to see the final results of the temple points as the non balding hair there on most people is usually much finer then donor hair. But you have good skin to hair characterisics which would be in your favor.

Last edited:

shookwun

Reaction score
Shookwun thanks for the pics. Although a bit hard to see with the quality. I would count youself very lucky if you had fut and can shave down to a number 2. Also interested to see the final results of the temple points as the non balding hair there on most people is usually much finer then donor hair. But you have good skin to hair characterisics which would be in your favor.
All I can say is a talented barber goes along way. He gives me a low fade where the neck, nape and around ears to the temple point are faded to about a .5-1 grade. Gradually working up to a #2

I actually prefer this over a high fade where the entire back and sides are .5. Blends in better with hair cuts.

I will try and get some better pictures tomorrow. Realy loving the temple points
Made a huge difference on my profile and frontal view. Forehead is smaller and looks more aesthetic.

Thanks

dr. cole

Reaction score
The temple point should never be 90 degrees or greater. These examples are of individuals with no hair loss, low hairlines, and broad hairlines. Unless you have a higher hairline and no hair loss, you should never attempt this in a hair restoration procedure. Even in these examples, the temple point is less than 90 degrees. Perhaps 80 degrees, but not equal or greater than 90 degrees.

Temple points are the most dangerous places to transplant. If you do not know what you are doing, a physician can make you look ridiculous when transplanting this region. The angle, the character of the hair, and the number of hair in each graft must be perfect. The angle must be acute and properly directed. The hair must be fine in this area because temple points always have more fine hair than the rest of the hair surrounding the temple point. The temple point is a prominent hairline so the front of the temple point must have single hair grafts. One should not see three hair grafts anywhere near the edge. No coarse hair groupings are possible here. Finally, place the hair with its belly down so that the hair grows toward the scalp. If you put the graft in with the belly up, the hair will grow up away from the skin and appear unnatural.
The temple point is a very dangerous place to graft. That is why I call the temple area a holy place. I tell physicians, "if you don't know what you are doing, don't attempt to graft this area." I tell patients to be careful whom they chose to graft their temple point. I do several correction procedures on temple points each month.
The junction between the temple point and the hairline is the frontal-temple junction (FTJ). This junction should never be lower than the mid-frontal point unless you are of African origin.

TheSneakyTruth

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dr Cole, if a patient came to you with temple points that are still present, albeit genetically small and also very thin with blonde hairs, making it seem like the temple point itself is straight/non-existent when hair is any longer than a 1-2 shave, would you feel comfortable augmenting and transplanting to this area to make a more pronounced and larger temple point?

I can attach photos of my own hairline for examples if necessary.

EDIT: Added photos of my temple point, and the temple point outlined with a dotted line as my hair is so fair and light that it is difficult to discern a starting point.
Screen Shot 2016-10-09 at 1.39.28 PM.png

Last edited: