Signs of Balding at Early Age (20) : practical steps and advice

Maaz

Reaction score
So I very recently turned 20 and have noticed some male pattern baldness. With the right haircut I can cover the pattern, but of course it's still there. I have noticed my hair on the top thinning, though I haven't really noticed hair falling or hair on my pillow. I also sometimes have dandruff and some seborrheic dermatitis, but with regular, special shampooing I'm able to control these things. After using a certain type of shampoo my barber said that my scalp wasn't red and looked fine.

Anyways, I should also say that there's a family history. My mother's father side of the family has a history of hair loss, I have several relatives that began losing their hair in their 20s, one relative at my age. Many of these relatives are semi-bald in their late 20s. In my ethnicity in general, it seems many people experience hair loss from early age. It's like an epidemic. 8O

I'm not overly obsessed with my hair (I prefer my hair short anyways), and wouldn't want to do any surgeries, but if possible I'd like to slow down any such hair loss in a normal way. I've been taking some vitamins for hair as I'm not a fan of applying 100 chemicals to my scalp. Any advice would be great. A couple photos are attached.

photo00178h.jpg

photo00179.jpg

the lighting/photo quality is not great, but as you may see the thinning at the top. Thanks in advance.

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
you have diffuse thinning.

the good news though is it looks like you are experiencing norwood type a hair loss, which means you are a very good candidate for a future transplant. http://drverret.com/images/Norwood-ClassificationA.gif that image is what i mean by "type a". its only on top with no hair loss on the upper back part of the head. just informing you, although you say you don't want to do surgeries, i'm just putting that out there

oh and i regret to inform you that the vitamins will do nothing. only things that work are rogaine and propecia. that's hardly "100 chemicals"

of course, like any drug, theres a small chance for side effects for propecia. and, like every other drug with side effects, the ones who have side effects are the loudest complainers, so it will SEEM like theres more people with sides than there actually are in reality.

the people who had no sides just went on with their daily lives, and thats the majority of people who have used propecia

good luck with whatever course of action you do take however

Maaz

Reaction score
you have diffuse thinning.

the good news though is it looks like you are experiencing norwood type a hair loss, which means you are a very good candidate for a future transplant. http://drverret.com/images/Norwood-ClassificationA.gif that image is what i mean by "type a". its only on top with no hair loss on the upper back part of the head. just informing you, although you say you don't want to do surgeries, i'm just putting that out there

oh and i regret to inform you that the vitamins will do nothing. only things that work are rogaine and propecia. that's hardly "100 chemicals"

of course, like any drug, theres a small chance for side effects for propecia. and, like every other drug with side effects, the ones who have side effects are the loudest complainers, so it will SEEM like theres more people with sides than there actually are in reality.

the people who had no sides just went on with their daily lives, and thats the majority of people who have used propecia

good luck with whatever course of action you do take however

Thanks for the info. Do you think there's chance that my hairline will stay the same for sometime or is it going increasingly get thinner and thinner? I mean what's the usual timeline, given I don't use any such medicine. I'm strongly considering rogaine after hearing that many people get positive results from it.

RF102

Reaction score
Everyone's hair loss timeline is different, so no one will really be able to predict how your hair will look in a given amount of time. From the looks of it though it seems you have pretty aggressive male pattern balding. My advice to you would be to get on finasteride as soon as you can. You can buy it from inhouse pharmacy online for pretty cheap. Don't make the same mistake I did and hold off on finasteride. I tried to avoid it due to the side effects. I thought rogaine, a keto shampoo and herbal pills would do the trick but my hair gradually got worse. I've been on finasteride for 1 month now and i have had no side effects whatsoever. Nothing else besides finasteride and dutasteride will lower your DHT levels, which is the main culprit of male pattern balding. If you dont get on one of these soon you will continue to lose hair.

Also I would reccomend using rogaine(minoxidil) twice a day, but since you dont want to use chemicals on your head you can just try finasteride for a year or two to see how much it helps.

Hope I helped