Simac's story - 6years on finasteride

Simac

Reaction score
Hi,

Im 29 and a long time finasteride user. thought id post my story so newbies can ask questions and i can keep track of my hair in the future.

So i started losing hair at around 18 i think. Thats when the hair fall started. At that stage there was no visible loss or receedig but really just a change in volume i noticed. I also noticed all the hairs in sink and my hands which id never experienced before. I certainly didnt consider it was male pattern baldness and ignored it. It was around 20 i started to take action as i started to get the fear as my hair was falling out like crazy. I went to a dermatologist who basically looked at my hair and said ' yes your losing your hair a little..men go through it.. Nothing you can do' and i left feeling helpless and annoyed. I then went through a couple of snake oils until i found this forum.

At age 22 i started funasteride. My hair, although falling out like crazy for few years now was still in good shape. Undectable to the public but i knew. I knew lifting my hairline i had a thinning and slight recession and i was scared of the future. Afterall i was 22 single man in uni. Thought of what my hair could be in next five years scared hell outta me.

So i took the finasteride every day and tried forget best i could. And here i am at 29 years old. I have been on minoxidil for last 2years too. think ive maintained well and i never had any sides from the drug. Cant say i ever had a horrible shed.. However sometimes hairfall is worse at certain times in year. At 29 im really no worse or no better so maintaining i think has been a great result. Funny how time can change everything. At 20 i had thinning and was deadly scared and now at 29 i would probably be considered to have a good head of hair for my age. Some friends have lost theres in the 6-7 years ive been on finasteride. So starting early is key! Any questions just ask. Thanks for reading.

Some pics

before. (4 years ago 25yo)

image.jpgimage.jpg

My hair today

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 310

logikmtr

Reaction score
It's always hard to tell if the people who start very early have jumped the gun. The fact that your hairline hasn't moved says something. Does your family have a history of hair loss?

Simac

Reaction score
It's always hard to tell if the people who start very early have jumped the gun. The fact that your hairline hasn't moved says something. Does your family have a history of hair loss?

Both grandfathers were bald (nw5s)

finasteride has helped me keep what i had. I knew it was working when i first started taking it years ago the hair shed in shower etc decreased dramtically after few months on it. It may not be a cure but it helped me alot!

Simac

Reaction score
My regime is

1.25mg finasteride daily
nizoral 3-4 times week
biotin and collagen shampoo
minoxidil once daily at night on temples

stv227

Reaction score
My regime is

1.25mg finasteride daily
nizoral 3-4 times week
biotin and collagen shampoo
minoxidil once daily at night on temples

Thanks for sharing. I'm 24 and just starting to notice some thinning at the hairline, and I want to get on finasteride early to hang on to most of my hair. Have you experienced any difficulty in getting a doctor to prescribe you finasteride all these years, and if so, what kind of doctor finally helped you obtain the prescription?

Simac

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I'm 24 and just starting to notice some thinning at the hairline, and I want to get on finasteride early to hang on to most of my hair. Have you experienced any difficulty in getting a doctor to prescribe you finasteride all these years, and if so, what kind of doctor finally helped you obtain the prescription?

Hi. Ive always used generic finasteride from online (Inhouse) called fincar and cut it into 4 so it works out very cheap for me. I get my minoxidil off ebay. Its generic aswell (kirkland). I buy a years worth at a time so i dont have to keep ordering. I did go to my doctor at the very start but he refused me finasteride saying it was dangerous and baldijg could not be cured or prevented. Hes an old doctor so obviously hes not educated on it all. It was pretty embarassing to ask for it aswell and worse to be turned down so thats why i went online to get it and i have to say its never let me down. Two wks delivery time but always arrived as described.

MI92

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. Ive always used generic finasteride from online (Inhouse) called fincar and cut it into 4 so it works out very cheap for me. I get my minoxidil off ebay. Its generic aswell (kirkland). I buy a years worth at a time so i dont have to keep ordering. I did go to my doctor at the very start but he refused me finasteride saying it was dangerous and baldijg could not be cured or prevented. Hes an old doctor so obviously hes not educated on it all. It was pretty embarassing to ask for it aswell and worse to be turned down so thats why i went online to get it and i have to say its never let me down. Two wks delivery time but always arrived as described.

Haha same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. Good old GPs! It even says on the NHS website that Propecia is used for male pattern baldness. Yet they are saying it won't do anything. Why is it even available for prescription then? Not sure who they even prescribe it to if they turn those down with male pattern baldness.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Really nice hair, you got it early. I like that hair style too. Has the minoxidil helped much in the last 2 years? Would you say you took about 2 years for peak results on finasteride? I'm the same age.

Simac

Reaction score
My hairline hasnt changed much over the years but my hair got thicker using finasteride. It took a full id say 18months for me too notice a cosmetic change. I would urge people who have taken for a year and seen no difference to hold tight because it does take time. It was couple years before i noticed when i was getting hair cuts my hair felt thicker. I even got a comment i remeber from a hairdresser about having thick hair and i got a lil embaraased because i knew inside i take finasteride but i was happy to hear that.

The minoxidil is a strange one. As i say my hairline hasnt changed much i dint think and i only continue with minix because i dint want to stop and possibly lose hair there from a shed. I only however use at night and not teice as directed on bottle. I only use 0.5ml. I put a lil (0.25ml) on each temple and tub and then smear a lil across hairline at end. A bottle lasts me ages!! I bought 6 on ebay and the box lasts forever

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
My hairline hasnt changed much over the years but my hair got thicker using finasteride. It took a full id say 18months for me too notice a cosmetic change. I would urge people who have taken for a year and seen no difference to hold tight because it does take time. It was couple years before i noticed when i was getting hair cuts my hair felt thicker. I even got a comment i remeber from a hairdresser about having thick hair and i got a lil embaraased because i knew inside i take finasteride but i was happy to hear that.

The minoxidil is a strange one. As i say my hairline hasnt changed much i dint think and i only continue with minix because i dint want to stop and possibly lose hair there from a shed. I only however use at night and not teice as directed on bottle. I only use 0.5ml. I put a lil (0.25ml) on each temple and tub and then smear a lil across hairline at end. A bottle lasts me ages!! I bought 6 on ebay and the box lasts forever

Thanks for the reply. I started late with a receding hair line so trying to recover it currently. Been 8 months on finasteride and I am noticing improvements since month 2. It's all to do with thickness and small regrowth, but plenty of new small hairs that are not grown yet. Either way, things are looking up so should be grateful. I am really curious if the new little hairs will grow properly, waiting game is annoying!

I haven't tried minoxidil yet but if I did, I would do it the same way you do.

Simac

Reaction score
Had a look at your hair. finasteride should work well for you. Keep consistant with it and youll get that maintainance and a lil regrowth. Even maintenance is a result especially if it maintains you for years like i have. If i hadnt of treated my hair loss i know id look alot different right now.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes I agree, maintenance is really the key. Oh and welcome to the forum :)

hair=life

Reaction score
Ur maintenance definitely is worth appreciation, and i do somehow see a change in your hairline pics,in terms of regrowth.
Have also started on finasteride and 2% nizoral, both generic, and idk but somehow feel that thinning has increased. Have been as it is doubtful about generic versions, as in many forums people have not given thumbs up to the results of generic finasteride especially, so would want your advice on the same, thanks in advance :)

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/93668-Hair-Life-s-Story