Situation of My hair

cascade1

Reaction score
Hello All, I of course am new to this website. I would like to explain my hair situation to you all to see your point of view. Well I am over 35 years of age to help tell you where I am. My hair on the crown has thinned a bit. It can be hard to see at times however, if my hair is dry it looks normal basically more than if its wet. Now I say all this with caution because I know how things can turn on a dime, I'm not taking anything for granted. I am thinking of minoxidil, but I was reading up on it. And I don't know what website it was, but it said minoxidil is not for hair growth. But just for maintenance. Is that true? And what do you recommend for my course of action. I don't know what to do about this. I'm stuck between minoxidil and a Herbal Tonic for this problem. I am also on a Ketoconazole shampoo by Triatop. One last thing I don't want to end up making this worse, thats why this decision is a tough one.

CursedMen

Established Member
Reaction score
Other way around, minoxidil is for regrowth and Propecia is for maintenance in most cases. I'm not saying Min would not help you maintain or that Propecia won't regrow. minoxidil > Herb Tonic. Man if you are almost 40 you shouldn't worry about losing your hair

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you start on Minoxidil, your hair will become dependent on it. So any miniaturised hairs that thickened, or any new ones, will be lost.

cascade1

Reaction score
Other way around, minoxidil is for regrowth and Propecia is for maintenance in most cases. I'm not saying Min would not help you maintain or that Propecia won't regrow. minoxidil > Herb Tonic. Man if you are almost 40 you shouldn't worry about losing your hair

Hmm...I'm a bit confused by what your saying here by being near 40 as it applies to hair. Why should I not worry? Let's continue my story...

cascade1

Reaction score
I wish I could put some up, but my camera phone won't transfer them over with the USB..i don't know why. So what I'll have to do is scour the internet for a photo that looks like mine. I'll get back to you...

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I wish I could put some up, but my camera phone won't transfer them over with the USB..i don't know why. So what I'll have to do is scour the internet for a photo that looks like mine. I'll get back to you...

That's odd. Have you tried emailing them from your phone to your email address? It's just that pictures of someone else aren't all that helpful, as we either tend to focus on the negative when we're worried, I know I do!

cascade1

Reaction score
That's odd. Have you tried emailing them from your phone to your email address? It's just that pictures of someone else aren't all that helpful, as we either tend to focus on the negative when we're worried, I know I do!

Well that idea worked! I just took that picture just a few minutes ago. So my hair is dry, I can put up another picture of my hair wet if needed at a later time. Let me just say a few words however, I know finasteride is a popular treatment option. But the problem is I have no access to it where I am. Just to take into account.

Attachments

• hairtrouble1.jpg
    hairtrouble1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 200

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Glad it's sorted mate! Looking at your loss there, I'd forget about any herbal tonic ideas that you have. You need something(s) that will give you the best chance of thickening and hopefully regrowing what you have. finasteride is pretty easy to get hold of online, and that would be my first port of call in your shoes. What country do you come from fella? Also using Nizoral shampoo a couple of times a week (with a conditioner afterwards, as nizoral is really drying).

cascade1

Reaction score
I am in Asia now. And in this region they don't have finasteride unfortunately. I've been told maybe it can be found in Hong Kong, luckily I'm near there and will plan a little trip to search for it there this weekend. The doctor here did give me Triatop Keto formula for my hair. He didn't say anything about a conditioner. What kind should I use with the Keto shampoo? Also, he prescribed minoxidil to me which I have sitting on my table here. I'm itching to use it...No pun intended. Would you suggest I give minoxidil a try. I don't mind using it the rest of my life but does it work effectively? Oh, and I should be visiting the states in a few months maybe I could pick up something there.

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I find Nizoral really drying on my hair and it makes it really frizzy, which is a nightmare with hair the length of mine. Just look for some sort of nourishing or moisturising conditioner. I use Tresemme volumising conditioner(I use the shampoo when not using Nizoral). I'd hold off on the minoxidil, and give finasteride a go for a year. That way you can evaluate if minoxidil is indeed necessary, and you'll know what has helped or not. Plus I found minoxidil made my head really itchy and was a faff to apply. Perhaps the foam is better. Then again, I've got a pretty good head of hair for nearly 33, so it wasn't necessary for me, so I stopped it.

cascade1

Reaction score
I thought I would update this story about my hair situation. I have been on minoxidil for about 2-3 weeks, still using nizoral/Keto shampoo also 2-3 times a week. Since I'm battling dermatitis which is the cause of all my problems apparently I take also a hormone regulator drug and Vitamin B6. I was also given an elixir for hair loss/growth and anti-gray properties.

So I'm taking those and I just checked it with the Iphone and it looks worse than it did a few days ago. I don't know what to think about this. Should I just be more patient and hope for the best? Or is it just doom and gloom coming for me?

cascade1

Reaction score
I thought I would update this story about my hair situation. I have been on minoxidil for about 2-3 weeks, still using nizoral/Keto shampoo also 2-3 times a week. Since I'm battling dermatitis which is the cause of all my problems apparently I take also a hormone regulator drug and Vitamin B6. I was also given an elixir for hair loss/growth and anti-gray properties.

So I'm taking those and I just checked it with the Iphone and it looks worse than it did a few days ago. I don't know what to think about this. Should I just be more patient and hope for the best? Or is it just doom and gloom coming for me?

Well as usual, I have to figure everything out myself.

I become none the wiser too because of it.