Sixty cups of coffee can put hair back on head

Dashtoronto

Established Member
Reaction score
Sixty cups of coffee can put hair back on head

The New Straits Times, January 24, 2007

London (England) - A new research claims that coffee could remedy male baldness. Scientists found that caffeine can stimulate the growth of tiny follicles in the scalp in men who are starting to lose their hair. The new study, published in the International Journal of Dermatology, found that caffeine works by blocking the effects of a chemical known to damage hair follicles. Scientists estimate up to 60 cups a day would be needed for significant amounts to reach follicles in the scalp. However, a German cosmetics firm Alpecin has developed a caffeine-rich solution that can be rubbed on the scalp.

Baldness comes about mostly when hair follicles, the tiny sacs in the scalp from which hair grows, become exposed to too much dihydrotestoterone, or DHT, a chemical produced by the male hormone testosterone. The follicles shrink if there is too much DHT circulating in the blood, so the hair becomes thinner and grows for less time than normal.

http://www.prn2.usm.my/mainsite/headline/health/jan2007.html[url]

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sixty cups of coffee? You would probably die drinking that much. I'd go for the topical approach.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Caffeine shampoos and stuff are already being sold everywhere. Haven't yet bothered myself.

ali777

Reaction score
I drink 3-4 coffees everyday, it doesn't work.

60 cups of coffee is something I wouldn't suggest, it's probably poisonous amount.

Boondock

Reaction score
Obviously the only way to go with this is topical, unless you want a heart attack. Has anyone actually had any success with the shampoos?

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I was going through some online Science website (livescience) and it had an article on Shampooing and it's importance/un-importance. One of the comments under the article was from a guy who said he had a bald patch the size of a quarter and he a given a shampoo whose main ingredient was caffiene. He said he covered up the patch with it and regrew a lot of hair.

Unfortuenatly he didn't mention what shampoo it was, but he did mention he was living in Germany. Maybe Alpecin is the shampoo he used?

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I guess.... if you believe his story ; not sure what to think

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ethan said:
:thumbdown2:

60 cups of coffee would make you extremely sick.

waynakyo said:
I guess.... if you believe his story ; not sure what to think

They aren't introducing 60 cups of coffee as a treatment. They are just stating the fact that it can regrow hair and that caffeine could be a treatment. This is something we've known for quite a while and caffeine is included is various hair loss shampoos.
Do you not think scientists would not realise that 60 cups of coffee would be extremely unhealthy and cause a lot more problems than your hair loss?

kento

Established Member
Reaction score
I've wanted to try aplecin but i've read that caffeine can make minoxidil unactive. So i guess i've have to choice between this and minoxidil or it's save to put these two in your scalp but with period of few hours between the appications?

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i can say myself that alpecin does work, but i don't know how it compares to minoxidil
the only reason i stopped using it and switched to nioxin(another caffeine shampoo) is because the alpecin washed my hair dye out.
i did give like a reassuring tingle feeling and i found it caused pretty bad headaches soo it kinda gives the same side effects as minoxidil
i am gonna say go for it because it's not even an expensive treatment and i can say it does work :)

Dashtoronto

Established Member
Reaction score
somone uk said:
i can say myself that alpecin does work, but i don't know how it compares to minoxidil
the only reason i stopped using it and switched to nioxin(another caffeine shampoo) is because the alpecin washed my hair dye out.
i did give like a reassuring tingle feeling and i found it caused pretty bad headaches soo it kinda gives the same side effects as minoxidil
i am gonna say go for it because it's not even an expensive treatment and i can say it does work :)

Other than somone uk - can anyone else vouch for alpecin? Has anyone else tried it and got results?

My question is this for those that used alpecin

hey - when you used alpecin - did you use minoxidil as a topical as well - at the same time? There' a poster in a thread saying that alpecin cancels out the effects of minoxidil - would like to try alpecin along with minoxidil - not at the same exact time - but at different intervals - so thats why im asking you if you used alpecin and minoxidil - and you said alpecin - where you using minoxidil as well - because if you were - then perhaps alpecin doesn't cancel out the effects of minoxidil.

Thanks.

mykal_P

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's a quote from one of their findings on the site:

Using a special indicator (Nile red), the scientists measured whether substances
can penetrate the skin. The photo shows: In unaffected skin, the red
will remain on the outside. Skin weakened by testosterone allows Nile red to
penetrate.

So caffeine they say makes the skin impenetrable which in my estimation makes anything wanting to absorb into the scalp more difficult, like minoxidil.

If male skin or the male scalp is treated with a caffeine complex, the negative
impact of testosterone can be eliminated. Thanks to caffeine, the skin is better
protected and regenerates more quickly, as was shown by surprising laboratory
results.

This statement makes me laugh, as if caffeine can stop genetics and the 5ar enzyme.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I doubt a shampoo with lots of caffeine in it would do a lot to stop hairloss. Just like tons of articles on black tea, green tea, saw palmetto, soy, and lots of others we think they help from studies we do. The problem is no one standardizes them, packages them up, and proves they work so we can use it. So we are left guessing how much, what delivery system, and all the other things involved with trying to make your own.