SKIN HAIRLINES?

machman

Established Member
Reaction score
I have never been a fan of skin systems.
One of the reasons being is that the hairlines can be shockingly bad! especially when compared to a lace hairline.
So my question is what supplier gives the best hairline on a skin system to compete with the best out there in lace?

Seven

Reaction score
I would like to know too. I was wondering if underventing "baby hair" in the front would take care of the hairline. That is what we use to do before they had lace fronts. I notices on a lot of the black ladies hair loss fourms use tbaby hair even on their lace hair wigs. It even show you how to do it yourself on youtube.

Seven

machman

Established Member
Reaction score
Good point Seven!
I have noticed that baby hair has vanished as an option from almost all of the wigs now!
It does add great realism to the hairline.

Seven

Reaction score
I think it would work really well if one used tape in the front and not get all that glue in it and pull them out. 20 years ago I use to wear New Man hairpieces and would order with curly bably hair and it make the hairline look soft and good. You can still order undervented baby hair, you just have to ask for it.

Seven

CCS

Reaction score
Skin looks like the hair is coming out of the skin, but the transition from fake to real skin is more noticeable.

Skin also keeps glue out of the hair above, but it also keeps heat from escaping as well.

Seven

Reaction score
CCS said:
Skin looks like the hair is coming out of the skin, but the transition from fake to real skin is more noticeable.

Skin also keeps glue out of the hair above, but it also keeps heat from escaping as well.

20 years ago I use to wear New Man hairpieces and would order with ''curly baby hair'' undervented in the front hairline and it makes the hairline look soft and really good. You can still order undervented baby hair, you just have to ask for it.

What do you think with thin skin and undervented baby hair in front?

Noah

Reaction score
Babyhair is a nice touch, but please not underventing guys! That is REALLY old technology, from the days of coarse easily detectable bases, where the only way to cover the edge of the hairpiece was to have thick bushy hair coming from both sides. The only slight problem with that bright idea is, it looks as fake as a 12 dollar note. Nobody's real hair looks like that! Short of having a chin-strap on your rug it is the biggest giveaway I can think of.

If you can't get the edge of your skin piece to disappear, get it made with an inch of lace at the front.

Seven

Reaction score

QUOTE: If you can't get the edge of your skin piece to disappear, get it made with an inch of lace at the front.[/quote]
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

That brings us back to the topic of the thread. Is there any company that makes a super thin skin where the front edge doesn't show???

If you add a 1" or 2" of lace to the front, will that not create a line of demarcation where the 2 materials join together in the front?

I dont know if light to medium soft-curl "baby hairs" in the front would conceal the edge without part of the hairs being undervented.

Is there a company that sells thin skin without the front edge showing?

Jim

Noah

Reaction score
I haven't seen a skin piece yet with which I would feel comfortable fully exposing my hairline. If you have reasonable density (say 65% +) the join between a skin base and a lace front shouldn't be obvious.

Seven

Reaction score
Noah said:
I haven't seen a skin piece yet with which I would feel comfortable fully exposing my hairline. If you have reasonable density (say 65% +) the join between a skin base and a lace front shouldn't be obvious.

I brush my hair straight back (see avatar photo - medium density) and now wear 50% denisty (67 years old) I am waiting on a new lace piece now. But always wanted to try a low density skin but always afraid the front will look bad.

Grimoire

Reaction score
You can get a ThinSkin hairline that is 95% as invisible as lace, but it has to be knotted ThinSkin rather than injected ThinSkin. The reason is that a knotted ThinSkin base will be thinner than an injected ThinSkin base.

Drawback: Knots in ThinSkin can't be bleached. If you wear a combed-forward style, there's no problem. If you have light brown, blond or gray hair, you can expose your hairline because the knots are light in color and don't contrast very much with your skin color. If your hair is darker, you can have the hair at the hairline v-looped so that there are no knots. V-looped hair is a bit more difficult to style than knotted hair, but there isn't a huge difference. The v-looped hair blends invisibly with knotted hair.

Seven

Reaction score
Grimoire said:
You can get a ThinSkin hairline that is 95% as invisible as lace, but it has to be knotted ThinSkin rather than injected ThinSkin. The reason is that a knotted ThinSkin base will be thinner than an injected ThinSkin base.

Drawback: Knots in ThinSkin can't be bleached. If you wear a combed-forward style, there's no problem. If you have light brown, blond or gray hair, you can expose your hairline because the knots are light in color and don't contrast very much with your skin color. If your hair is darker, you can have the hair at the hairline v-looped so that there are no knots. V-looped hair is a bit more difficult to style than knotted hair, but there isn't a huge difference. The v-looped hair blends invisibly with knotted hair.

Who sells the best thin skin with 95% invisible hairline?