Slody's Story - ( 24 /with pics.. ) 4/30..DERMATOLOGIST SAYS

Slody4Futbol

Reaction score
:sobbing:

so yeah.. just realized it.. but i'm starting to thin.. I think I've noticed it for a little under a year now but just really sat down and said to myself.. ok it's not coming back.. do something..

i'm 24.. always had long hair to my shoulders or slightly past since i was younger.. cut it semi-short about 2 years ago.. and cut it short last weekend.. the lady that cut my hair asked me how long i had known about my thin hair up top.. i told her not long.. less than a year.. so she told me to go buy a hard bristle brush to stimulate the growth, get the blood flowing and all.. so i did that.. but as i'm sure everyone else here has experienced.. it doesn't set to well with you when you realize you're losing some hair.. i've always had REALLY thick long hair.. and REALLY thick semi-short hair.. and now it's thinning.. my g/f helped me research some stuff and i came across this forum so i figured what better place to find out, talk about, and learn about hair products then from some people that have actually used them.. below i'm posting some pics *sorry for so many just wanted to give everyone a good idea of what i have* i haven't been to a doctor yet so i don't know what type of hairline or thinning i have.. i've noticed a lot of you using a number/letter code .. but yeah i don't know.. i just know i'm getting a little thin, and would like some advice.. if you need me to give any more info please let me know.. i've been wearing a hat during summer, and tight beanies for the rest of the year almost nonstop for the past 2 years and i haven't done that before.. and now this.. but i've read and learned that hats do not cause this.. and btw.. the hairline has always looked like that where it goes back on the sides.. i was scared a few years ago that i might be receding.. but i looked at old soccer pics where my hair was pulled back.. and noticed that the hairline always followed that way

thanks,
Cody

041209_01.jpg

041209_02.jpg

041209_03.jpg

041209_04.jpg

041209_05.jpg

041209_06.jpg

041209_07.jpg

041209_08.jpg

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
Re: Slody's story.. with pics.. NEW HERE

welcome to HairLossTalk.com

and thank you for posting

well it looks like thinning primarily in the MBP area

you can see that your hairline is miniaturizing as well as the top of both temples

i believe that hair used to be strong and is slowly weakening

how is your crown (top back of head where the hair has a swirl or cowlick)?

do you have a family history of MBP? mom's dad,brothers,father, fathers dad? etc?

does your hair loss bother you?

the reason i ask is because if it does then their are things you can do to help it

my advice would be to see a derm and get diagnosed for male pattern baldness by a (professional)

they will normally give advice from there

most likely prescribe Finasteride (finasteride) propecia proscar etc

IMO you probably do have early MBP and could benefit from using finasteride for primarily maintenance

i would also recommend using Nizoral (keto) shampoo 3 times a week

you should check out (shadowRX) story in success stories his hair used to look similar to yours although he did the big 3 (finasteride nizoral and minoxidil)

cheers mate

Slody4Futbol

Reaction score

wow thanks a lot.. wasn't expecting the fast replies..

looks like i can pick up the nizoral shampoo at walgreens? are there different types of nizoral or is there just the one? i just lost my job a few months ago.. which was good because it was really stressful and allowed me to open up to new opportunities and i'm really hoping to land a much better paying job soon.. i could then afford to try all the possibilities of fixing the hair ;) i think i'm a little too young and too early to try any surgical fixes..

one thing i'd like to know.. this finasteride and minoxidil... are there any bad side effects to these? i know i should search but i'll do that when i finish posting.. but figured i could get real answers from real people that have experience.. i've read about some meds once you start you shouldn't start because it could come back worse? sounds fun...

and body to answer your questions...

how is your crown (top back of head where the hair has a swirl or cowlick)?
it's just that top part from the front to about midways.. the back of my head where the swirl would be seems fine.. the rest of my hair is really thick.. just noticed the top and front is getting a little thin

do you have a family history of MBP? mom's dad,brothers,father, fathers dad? etc?
my dad is fine.. he had some SLIGHT thinning on the crown but not much.. and he's still got all of his hair at age 49 and it is thick like mine.. his dad still has hair but i think is thin.. my mom says her dad has hair.. i have no brothers

yeah.. =( i've had long thick hair forever and now i'm seeing this it is sad.. everyone has known me for the thick hair and so it's kinda like something i'm known for.. so for this to happen kinda sucks =( my g/f is fully supportive and is a chemistry major so she is checking out every drug i see and reads all the tech stuff about it that i don't understand lol.. but she's helping me out with this and it helps ease the stress

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score

most def

its nice you have a girl thats supportive (she may be a keeper)

nizoral 1% can be acquired from walgreens, cvs ect

the 2% requires a prescription but you can acquire it via the internet

IMO the 2% is better and has been shown as effective as 2% minoxidil

as far as the sides using finasteride goes (they are rare) and usually the placebo effect

less than 2% of men get them

in my experience

it was a little harder to get it up at random times in the beginning
some days my nipples were sensitive

but they usually dont last and i havent experienced even a slight side in quite some time now

your body may be a little weird while it adjusts to the hormone altering effects of finasteride

IMO you dont need to do anything about your hair loss

but if you WANT to finasteride and nizoral are good choices to start with
minoxidil can be added at anytime

since your girl is a chemistry student she may be interested that taking white grapefruit juice with or before ingesting finasteride could help improve its absorption in the bloodstream ......(i just found this out via this helpful website)

good luck mate and remember to be patient with your results

LIKE A YEAR

it sucks but its true (hair recovery takes time)

Bufo boreas

Reaction score

Slody4Futbol said:
yeah.. =( i've had long thick hair forever and now i'm seeing this it is sad.. everyone has known me for the thick hair and so it's kinda like something i'm known for.. so for this to happen kinda sucks =( my g/f is fully supportive and is a chemistry major so she is checking out every drug i see and reads all the tech stuff about it that i don't understand lol.. but she's helping me out with this and it helps ease the stress

keyword my friend, stress.
don't let the hairloss break you down because i know the feeling man and it sucks.

best thing you can do for yourself is find a dermatologist to do some blood test to make sure it's male pattern baldness. they should tell you if you're a candidate for proscar.

for now (and i'm sure everyone else will be telling you this) i'd buy some nizoral. Maybe rogaine but it looks like you're thinning is in the front . if you feel confident shaving your head then try that. i just did it and it's taken a load off my shoulders for now as i continue with my treatment.

Slody4Futbol

Reaction score

well i called a local dr and got an appointment scheduled for april 30th.. is there anything i should ask for when i go in.. or is he going to pretty much do everything?

Slody4Futbol

Reaction score
Re: Slody's Story - ( 24 /with pics.. )

i figured i'd go ahead and place the order for the pills since they're only like $25

http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/hair-loss/fincar.html

is that what people are ordering? that's the Generic Finasteride in 5mg.. and you guys say just cut the pill in 4 small pieces? and take 1 per day right? i'm going to order that and the 2% nizoral shampoo from that website.. but i just wanted to be sure i'm getting the correct stuff

Slody4Futbol

Reaction score

ok so i got my order in today.. the nizoral shampoo and the 5mg of fincar.. i just had a few questions before i started taking them..

i go to the dr in 6 days.. should i wait until then to see what he says about my hair before i start taking the pills?

IF i am in the unlucky low % to experience side effects... like the moobs.. how soon does that show up? i play soccer and i think i'd have to stop in the finasteride if i started to see that for now.. i can deal with some of the sexual side effects

the nizoral shampoo.. i read people do it every 2 or 3 days.. i thought about going every other day.. but my question is.. do i use normal shampoo then conditioner.. then nizoral? or nizoral first.. then normal shampoo & conditioner.. or just nizoral on the days i use nizoral.. and normal shampoo & conditioner on the other days? sorry for the questions.. just wanted to make sure i have everything straight before i start

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score

since you are experiencing male pattern baldness

i would just suggest start taking the big 3 now

are you seeing a dermatologist or a "GP" doctor?

the GP may know jack sh*t about hair loss and jack left town yesterday

cheers mate

Slody4Futbol

Reaction score

So I went to the dermatologist today... waste of $78 >_<

He looked at my hair for roughly 5-10 seconds. Said it looks like if anything I have male pattern baldness in a very early stage. He asked if my temples always had that shape or did they recede. I told him they've always been that shape, if anything has changed there it's been minor. I told him I've always had long hair, and kept it pulled back, then cut it to a medium length and used a straightener on it a lot, then I cut it short last month and that's when I noticed the thinning. Which you can physically feel a difference in the hair up top and the hair at the crown/sides/back. He started telling me about propecia and the side effects, which he listed one, impotency, did not say anything about the moobs. Then said there's rogaine but he preferred and saw better results in propecia. There is a generic rogaine called minoxidil but there is not a generic form of propecia yet. :thumbdown2: Riiight... Then I told him I picked up some 2% nizoral because I had talked with a lot of people about hairloss and they recommended started with finasteride and nizoral. He then told me that nizoral does nothing for hairloss, doesn't regrow, thicken, or anything. Then I told him I had ordered 5mg finasteride pills which was the generic propecia and he was like 5MG IS TOO MUCH!! YOU SHOULD ONLY USE THE 1MG PROPECIA! Then I told him yeah, the Propecia would run roughly $50-$75 for a 1 month supply, and I got the 30 5mg finasteride for less than $30.. which I cut into 1/4 and can take it that way and make the $30 last 4 months. Then he was like "oh... well propecia is cheaper, you can get it for $1-$2 a pill. *i'm thinking yeah tard, 30 days, at $2 a day, equals $60, like i said, between $50-$75 a month!!* But then he said I wouldn't trust than finasteride, you don't know where it came from, I'm writing you a prescription for propecia, if you take it i'll see you in 3, 6, 9, and 12 months. If you buy and take that other stuff, that's between you and the internet world.

Sorry for the long rant, but I feel that money could've been better spent on an eye appointment or something.

So, I think I'm going to start with the finasteride and the nizoral and see how that works out. If I start to see any boobs growing I'll stop. Are there any signs I should look for? Pain? tenderness? Does that always lead to them growing? Also with the nizoral, I'm thinking every other day, or every 3rd day. Should I use that along with normal shampoo and conditioner? Or just conditioner?

Thanks in advance

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
$78 is not much to see a derm and get an prescription IMO

are you going to get on propecia and pay the premium

or order gen proscar from some various online distributer

use nizoral every three days and you'll be fine

ive never experienced sides for gyno
except some nipple sensitivity for like a day or 2 in various times within the first 3 months of using finasteride

ive read on these posts that your pecs and nipples will be sensitive and (if your going to get gyno) you will get like a lump in each pec

i would look out for increased sensitivity in your pecs and nipples
if they continue for a while
like everyday for 3 weeks to a month
i would get off it

like i said i had nipple sensitivity for a few days and it went away

these are just my opinions
and i hope they help

cheers mate

Slody4Futbol

Reaction score
thanks body.. you're always one of the first, if not THE first to reply.. appreciate the advice.. but yeah i already ordered the 5mg finasteride.. got a pill cutter.. so i'm going to start it tomorrow.. then i'll start on the nizoral tomorrow as well.. every 3rd day.. and i'll hope for 0 side effects lol.. i'm a fit soccer player.. would hate to show up to college this fall with some moobs lol

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i've been on propecia almost 2 years, no sides, stopped my hair loss

i added rogaine foam on the hair line about 3 months in because finasteride doesn't work very well in the front for a lot of people

i personally would not entrust my fate in generic pills from inhousepharmacy. the derm is right, you don't know where they were made or if each pill is legit. if you had cancer would you buy your cancer pills from inhousepharmacy?

generics have worked for a lot of people, but there have been a lot of people on these boards who the pills did not work for, and unfortunately they have no idea if they just aren't a responder, or if it's fake pills

if you're strapped for cash try to get the proscar

and you said "my mom says her dad has hair." i don't know if i'd trust that. looking at your pattern is classic male pattern baldness i'd imagine there must be some balding somewhere in the family

but, lucky for you, you've started on treatments very early in the process, and you still have lots and lots of hair, it is not even noticeable, so you should be in even better shape in a year

Slody4Futbol

Reaction score
yeah i'm gonna stick with this finasteride i have now until it runs out.. then probably step up to the proscar.. it's $95 opposed to $27.50.. i'm temporarily out of a job and am saving money anyway i can lately so obviously i went with the $27.50 one lol.. next time i'll step it up

monitoradiation

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude. Your GP should be able to prescribe you proscar; I don't know how much money you save going through the internet, but yah, I went Propecia for the first 3 months; couldn't handle the cost so I asked my family doctor to prescribe me Proscar and it happened.

I also went to see a derm. I swear, these derms know nothing about hairloss, it's like they don't even care. She took 2 looks at me, prescribed me Propecia, and I was out of the office literally within 3 minutes. Luckily I don't pay to see her. And I specifically asked her about Nizoral too, and got the same response you did.

Anyway, my only advice is to try your family doctor to see if they could get you Proscar; I'm always apprehensive about online stuff.