SlowHands75's Story - (22 / receding and thinning)

SlowHands75

Reaction score
Hey,

Don't suppose anyone can recommend any treantments that I could start on?

I'm very much in the dark on this sort of stuff and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Reaction score
Your case isn't very dire at all, which is great, so the first thing I would say is don't freak out.

As for treatment, the "Big 3" are what most people would recommend:
1. Finasteride, a DHT-inhibiting oral drug
2. Minoxidil, a topical growth stimulator
3. Ketoconazole shampoo, commonly sold as Nizoral, which does not have FDA approval for hair loss treatment but has plenty of anecdotal evidence supporting its efficacy

Taken together, they are the most powerful current regime for treating hair loss. The one thing I would caution you about is being aware of the possible systemic side effects of taking oral Finasteride, which include loss of libido. Generally these side effects are rare and go away after cessation of the drug, but in many cases they persist and can cause serious problems.

IF you do think you want to get on finasteride, do yourself a favor and get a baseline blood test, so that you have something to compare to later on IF side effects do show up.

Best of luck to you sir; you are doing the right thing in catching it early

cuebald

Reaction score
Yep - typical early stage of male pattern baldness. NW2.5. It's a tad beyond the mature hairline stage now.
You'll probably progress through the Norwood scale in the usual fashion - receding temples with an expanding crown until they meet at NW5 or NW6.
You seem to have the "type" of hair one usually sees in balding guys too. Tell me, has your hair always been "thin" as such or did this develop in the past few years?
Baldness coming from your mothers' side is basically a myth. It can come from either line. I'd imagine you'll probably follow after your father or mothers father.
I'd say without treatments you'll be NW4 - NW5 at 25.

Only the "Big 3" as mentioned above will stop you losing your hair (and maybe thicken it up a bit).
Most people get these treatments offline or from the Chemists. Boots will sell minoxidil and nizoral, you can also buy finasteride at boots if they do the "hair retention scheme" (you must speak to the Pharmacist). Most people find all this a faff and just buy from the net. (I buy mine off the net)
The NHS doesn't really care about male pattern baldness. Their treatment for male pattern baldness is basically a pair of clippers. It's not seen as a disease, it's seen as wrinkles, or frown lines, or greying hair. Asking a GP to prescribe you finasteride "Propecia" is hit and miss. Many will not prescribe it, some will prescribe only branded Propecia, some will prescribe generic finasteride 1mg.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
This guy is 22, and you say he'll be NW4 or 5 in 3 years? :shock:

I don't think your situation is all that bad honestly. But yes, you will need a treatment if you want to keep what you have, or regrow some hair (also very possible if you start early enough). The Big 3 is your best bet. Especially on your crown you should expect most of your hair to come back.

Wish you the best of luck.

SlowHands75

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the tips on buying too. From you saying you can get it from Boots Im assuming you're UK based? If you dont mind sharing, where do you get yours from online? Just I'm unsure as to whats a reputable online pharmacy.

I hope Im not a NW4 or 5 in 3 years! Although I suppose you never know. My hair has always been pretty thin. It was thin, but I had lots of it. If that makes sense? So I dont think its thinning all over as such, but theres definitely a lot less in the crown area than there used to be.

As for side effects, I'm a little worried as to what I've read about them. Im assuming not everyone gets them, but if you do I've heard they can hit you quite hard? Anybody got any first hand experience? and if its really worth struggling through hoping they go away so that you can carry on with the drugs?

Also, excuse my ignorance, but why would I need a blood test for a baseline if I was to take finasteride? Again, I dont really know, but I though all the side effects were sort of low libido/gynecomastia type of things?

Thanks again for your responses too, really appreciate the help.

SlowHands75

Reaction score
Just wondering if the people above who took the time to comment could answer my questions?

I'm after a trusted UK online pharmacy to buy some finesteride?
Recommending a brand etc is also welcome!

I looked in to the cost of the Boots Hair Retention Scheme but it does seem expensive in comparison to some of the online prices I've read about.

Thanks in advance.

iamme_

Established Member
Reaction score
I am in Canada and I buy my finasteride/proscar from 111drugstore.com . Their service is pretty quick and they are trustworthy since there are many topics about them on this forum.
As for the sides, don't worry about them. For me they vanished in less than 2 weeks/